• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Does an outdoor shower need an enclosure and bench to meet ADA?

Yikes

Gold Member
When you have an outdoor shower head, such as at a swimming pool deck or at a rinse-off-shower at a beach, it is not intended for private bathing, but rather as a quick rinse-off.
Most facilities I have seen are a freestanding or wall-mounted shower head, with no enclosure.
Y4E1Ma

Question: would such an outdoor shower need enclosure walls, grab bars, and a transfer seat in order to meet ADA / CBC 11B accessibility?

IBC 1109.2 Each toilet room and bathing room shall be accessible. At least one of each fixture in each accessible toilet room and bathing room shall be accessible.

If it is not in a room it does not need to be accessible.

Why not treat it as if it were a roll-in type shower? Put the controls in an accessible location and lose the seat and privacy walls.

It is in a public housing project. In our state health code, if any of the apartments are more than 300' away from the pool, a rinse-off shower is required.

Rick18071, you bring up an interesting point. ADA and CBC 11B-213 call it toilet and bathing "facilities".
But the specific requirement qualifies it to plumbing fixtures in a toilet ROOM or bathing ROOM per 11B-213.2, 11B-213.3.
when an outdoor shower is unenclosed, it is not in a room, Therefore the requirement for walls, seat, and handrails are not triggered.

# ~ #

Yikes,

Are there other ADA compliant elements to, from or
around these types of Showers [ i.e. - is there an ADA
compliant sidewalk or walkway, with the correct slope,
correct width, Handrails, etc. ].......Does HUD have
any language addressing a non-compartmentalized Shower
Head ?....... If at the beach, is there an ADA compliant
travel path to the beach ?

While it makes good practical sense to have ADA compliant
controls at these types of Showers, I cannot find the language
in the `10 ADASAD to "require" mandatory compliance.

Maybe someone will list the applicable Standard sections to
require the compliance.

# ~ #

Reactions: SAT
Specifically, I am retrofitting an existing apartment pool in a narrow space. I need to add in an ADA pool access lift, and I need 4' of maneuvering P.O.T. room around the lift. I can achieve that if I don't have to ALSO install a shower enclosure, bench, etc.
In other words, if the ADA rinse-off shower can simply be a control and shower head nearby on a post or fence, I can make everything work.

Yikes you would save us some time and allow us to directly address your issue if you had said that from the beginning (smile).
The shower for rinsing off before entering the pool may be a health dept. requirement. Need to verify that before we continue with if, and or maybes. If not required then you don't have an issue. If required it must be accessible.

Did a plan review and inspection on a bathhouse for a boy scout camp pool. Only required the inside showers to be accessible. IBC does not mention an outside shower to be accessible. As an inspector I don't look at ADA but the designer or owner probably should if don't want to be sued.

Reactions: JBI
It continues, the ongoing resistance of AHJ's and their agencies to end the division between the law and the code. The same with ANSI vs ADASAD. Why can't we all get a long?

It continues, the ongoing resistance of AHJ's and their agencies to end the division between the law and the code. The same with ANSI vs ADASAD. Why can't we all get a long?

AHJ's are without authority to enforce the ADA, that duty falls to the Department of Justice.
It is not a simple matter of '...ending the division between the law and the code.'
It is a matter of legal jurisdiction.
I can only advise people in my jurisdiction that the ADA may/may not 'require' something, I cannot legally require anything based on the ADA.
The ANSI standard works with the code to ensure that new construction complies with the law, just as the ADASAD works with the ADA to ensure compliance with ALL titles of the law, including requirements for existing buildings even when NO work is being done.

You miss the point, it is the "intent" of the ADA for local authorities to implement codes that require compliance with the law, which is equal to but not less than ADASAD, ANSI is not a safe harbor except for certain housing; doing so will then require "code" compliance by AHJ's with the ADA.

I have to obey the state law which tells me exactly what I am to enforce. Just like I cannot enforce any traffic or drug laws. Also the 3rd party company I work for wants me to do only what I'm being paid to do. I do not enforce any federal law. I am not allowed to suggest to a contractor or owner how to build or correct something, only pass or fail with notice of the section of code. I never read the ADA and could tell them something that is not correct. By state law I cannot enforce anything but the state code.

You miss the point, it is the "intent" of the ADA for local authorities to implement codes that require compliance with the law, which is equal to but not less than ADASAD, ANSI is not a safe harbor except for certain housing; doing so will then require "code" compliance by AHJ's with the ADA.

Maybe you didn't make your point well...

If in the code and your code is equal to but not less than ADASAD, you will inspect for that? Doing so you are then complying with "code enforcement" of the ADA, right?

Not an inspector, but they are only responsible to inspect against the applicable building codes for their jurisdiction. many of these codes have used the ADASAD as a basis for the code sections, but still just enforcing the building code and not the ADASAD from where it may have originated from.