• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

An average day

Give Tiger a break, Conarb. As you well know, the first guy up is never tied off.
A few years ago, I believe it was in Marin County, an inspector was on a roof and a contractor happened to drive by and see him, he turned him into CalOSHA and it made all the papers. If it was me I wouldn't have done that, I would have taken a picture with my cell phone, the next time Tiger came by one of my jobs and wrote my up I'd whip out my cell phone, show him the picture, and say: "Now Tiger you don't really want to write me up do you?"

I brought you this picture earlier. A correction was written to, "Provide 30"wide by 36" deep working space in front of the A/C disconnect.

47822932492_295d2246a0_b.jpg

I was there today for the corrections. The condenser has been rotated 90°. The guy said that is what I told them to do.

47926221843_f656d82d3c_b.jpg

I was dealing with a legitimate, licensed mechanical contractor. They have trucks and uniforms but not much else. I finally pointed out the service panel within reach of the condenser. I resisted doing that. I didn't want to do it....really I didn't. I was miffed that they can be so clueless yet take on these jobs. I gave in because they'll never get it if we don't teach them. That's a jacked up system.

Last edited:
Tiger, I don't know, isn't there a requirement that a condenser must be a certain distance from a window? Looks like the hot air is going to blow right back through that window.

Tiger, I don't know, isn't there a requirement that a condenser must be a certain distance from a window? Looks like the hot air is going to blow right back through that window.
That’s common sense. If they have common sense the window will be closed when the A/C is running. The window to stay away from is a bedroom window.

If i was the homeowner i woupd refuse to pay until the retaining was was finished. You cant leave a 2 ft high section of dirt with no support, and rough block ends.

What the Hell, it's not attached at all.

Ice ... i think the rotted lumber is an issue, but not the non-attachment to ths roof. I think all the lateral forces are being handled by the multiple rows of posts into the ground, all thats happening on the roof ends is that the roof is carrying the downward force. They have not penetrated the roof membrane, so no potential leaks, and the ... pergola? ... is free to shift a little when the wind blows. But ... i'm not sure the rafter ends are properly landed on the shingles, seems like any movement is going to scrape off the granules pretty quickly, and then start wearing a hole in the shingle.

A new circuit for an EV charger.]

The EMT connector on the inside of the panel is a nice touch, goes with the Sawzall hack on the dead front.
You ask for paperwork showing Siemens breakers being UL classified for Bryant* panels?

*Bryant/Westinghouse/Cutler-Hammer/Eaton, BR, I just call em "Zinsco II".

The EMT connector on the inside of the panel is a nice touch, goes with the Sawzall hack on the dead front.
You ask for paperwork showing Siemens breakers being UL classified for Bryant* panels?

*Bryant/Westinghouse/Cutler-Hammer/Eaton, BR, I just call em "Zinsco II".
Edit, the cuts look more like a Dremel was used.

A few years ago, I believe it was in Marin County, an inspector was on a roof and a contractor happened to drive by and see him, he turned him into CalOSHA and it made all the papers. If it was me I wouldn't have done that, I would have taken a picture with my cell phone, the next time Tiger came by one of my jobs and wrote my up I'd whip out my cell phone, show him the picture, and say: "Now Tiger you don't really want to write me up do you?"
Ah. Blackmail. There's some integrity.

It is dead flat. I'm not sure what it is but I was told that the roofer did it.

47961711087_fcce8ce90f_b.jpg

Last edited:
Yes they are and they have an idea of what it should look like.
Have y'all looked at the tile forum johnbridge.com? They have extensive pictures of bad tile jobs, predominantly showers, that have gone bad. Some are frighttenly stupid, makes you wonder if its their first time.

Have y'all looked at the tile forum johnbridge.com? They have extensive pictures of bad tile jobs, predominantly showers, that have gone bad. Some are frighttenly stupid, makes you wonder if its their first time.
Thanks for the link.

I have not been here before today. Another inspector has inherited this job and I had to fill in for a day.

47975617663_d54e72d714_b.jpg

The house is mostly gone and there is an addition being built at the back. The contractor requested a footing inspection.

47975624432_11e172a8de_b.jpg

47975607722_d67493e2b9_b.jpg

47975617418_cdd5180006_b.jpg

This panel was in the original building. There is framing from that building still attached to this panel. I was told that this job has languished for several years and there is now a new contractor taking over. So he calls for an inspection without paying attention to the work. For starters, I refused to give him an inspection. Then I made it clear that he has ten days to erect a temporary power pole and if he fails Edison will cut off the power.

The contractor went straight to the office to complain. He claims that I am not being helpful.

Last edited:
Speaking of tankless water heaters, I see them done wrong more often than done right.

47975816311_02e3d06bcf_b.jpg

I think they push them up high to protect it. The clearances are right there in front of them.

But nobody tells them to keep it 4' from a window opening. This one is 30".

47975759602_5d0001d39b_b.jpg

Another thing that nobody explains to them is the remote control. It's on a long wire for a reason.

47975759747_e8fa159873_b.jpg

Last edited:
Speaking of tankless water heaters, I see them done wrong more often than done right.

Should there be insulation on the hot water line?