• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Is it a dead end corridor?

My jurisdiction enforces both the NFPA 101 and the IBC.
The dead end corridor limit for a new non-sprinkled office building is only 20 feet according to NFPA 101 Table 7.6.
The IBC section 1018.4 has the same dead end corridor limit of 20 feet. But that paragraph does start with, "Where more than one exit or exit access doorway is required..."
So can I conclude that we may dismiss anything that might otherwise be construed as a dead end corridor within a building that requires only one exit?

Thanks again

ICC Certified Plan Reviewer
NFPA Certified Fire Plan Examiner

Attachments

• example-4.pdf
    145.6 KB · Views: 73
Well depends

Technically your example is not dead end.

But for that example only. I would not apply that answer to every layout

Technically speaking, why is it not a dead end corridor? I might panic, run down the hallway and die in the restroom while trying to find the exit.

Technically speaking, why is it not a dead end corridor? I might panic, run down the hallway and die in the restroom while trying to find the exit.

It your example,,, it only requires one exit,,,

So dead end only applies when two exits required.

Thanks CDA. I learned something very basic today. Now I wish I could find an NFPA forum that would clear things up for me.

Thanks CDA. I learned something very basic today. Now I wish I could find an NFPA forum that would clear things up for me.

Good luck on that

NFPA runs one answers are not great, if you get one

I would say same comment for dead end, for NFPA 101

cda ... am i missing something? In your attachment there are 2 diagrams that try to illustrate dead ends: a hallway and an elevator lobby. Both have a note stating they are dead ends. But both also have a dimension line indicating the length as 20 ft or less.

cda ... am i missing something? In your attachment there are 2 diagrams that try to illustrate dead ends: a hallway and an elevator lobby. Both have a note stating they are dead ends. But both also have a dimension line indicating the length as 20 ft or less.

I guess they are trying to say/ show two things

A dead end

And that it is not a dead end if less than 20

I see the key to the questions is the number of exits required. All corridors would be a dead end at over 20 feet if the dead end requirement applies to those instances that the occ load allowed a single exit.

Tomorrow I will try to illustrate the NFPA compliant 20’ corridor (dead end) that extends into the same 2,600 S.F. office building. It will look ridiculous.

According to NFPA dead end corridor limit of 20', any building with only one exit will not have a hallway beyond the front door that exceeds 20'. That seems ridiculous to me.example-5.jpg

7.5.1.5 Exit access shall be arranged so that there are no dead ends in corridors, unless permitted by, and limited to the lengths specified in, Chapters 11 through 43.

A dead end exists in a corridor where the corridor continues past an exit and creates a pocket into which an occupant might travel. The occupant then recognizes there is no exit at that end of the pocket and is forced into retracing the original path to reach the exit. Although relatively short dead-end corridors are permitted for all occupancies by the chapter applicable to that occupancy.

Not sure what the commentary means by this:: """While a dead end is similar to a common path of travel, a dead end can exist where there is no path of travel from an occupied space '' BUT once again it is commentary.

Not sure what the commentary means by this:: """While a dead end is similar to a common path of travel, a dead end can exist where there is no path of travel from an occupied space '' BUT once again it is commentary.

cda, what they are referring to is the situation where you may have an 'offshoot' off a corridor to get to the mechanical room(s), elevator machine room(s), or other areas that are not not normally occupied. Even though those areas have no means of egress path of travel from an occupied space, the 'offshoot' is still counted as a dead-end corridor, and subject to the maximum permitted dead-end length based on the occupancy classification.

cda, what they are referring to is the situation where you may have an 'offshoot' off a corridor to get to the mechanical room(s), elevator machine room(s), or other areas that are not not normally occupied. Even though those areas have no means of egress path of travel from an occupied space, the 'offshoot' is still counted as a dead-end corridor, and subject to the maximum permitted dead-end length based on the occupancy classification.

I would agree

If the offshoot is open to the corridor.

If I have to walk through a door to get to the offshoot,,,, Like in the examples posted,,,

Than no it is not a dead end issue