• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

What is the code for footers/posts for a outdoor pavilion at my house?

Elvis

I had a contractor who installed an outdoor pavilion at my house over a year ago. During Hurricane Sally, it fell over (I can't figure out how to post pictures) The reason it fell over is that he didn't sink the post in the ground. He used a bracket with a bolt in the concrete. However, the washer that was used allowed the bracket/post to be shimmy enough that it popped through the bracket hole. Also, he only used plain screws on the sides with no lag bolts. There was also no means for stabilization on the other sides of the bracket-hence why it fell over. The Hurricane was not that bad as not a single shingle was removed from the roof-it literally just fell over as if someone pushed it over.

Of course, the contractor doesn't' accept any responsibility for this. He claims he didn't do anything wrong and will not fix my pavilion. I tried to call my county building inspector for this information. I was told to look it up- they are useless.

I would like to know what codes should have been followed for this project-esp ones for the foundation. Thank you for your help in advance.

How big was your pavilion? 2015 International Residential Code R105.2 exempts accessory structures under 200 SF from requiring a building permit, although work is still required to comply with the code. I don't know whether Alabama or your locality made any modifications to this provision.

From what I can gather from IRC Figure R301.2(4)A, the V-ult for Daphne, AL is 160mph and is designated as "Wind Design Required". As such, the structure described should have had an engineer who reviewed the lateral design for wind resistance. Sounds like the contractor did not have this done, and either a permit was not required to construct (<200sf per R105.2) or the AHJ missed this requirement.

R301.2.1.1 Wind Limitations and Wind Design Required
The wind provisions of this code shall not apply to the design of buildings where wind design is required in accordance with Figure R301.2(4)B.
Exceptions:

1. For concrete construction, the wind provisions of this code shall apply in accordance with the limitations of Sections R404 and R608.
  2. For structural insulated panels, the wind provisions of this code shall apply in accordance with the limitations of Section R610.
  3. For cold-formed steel light-frame construction, the wind provisions of this code shall apply in accordance with the limitations of Sections R505, R603 and R804.
In regions where wind design is required in accordance with Figure R301.2(4)B, the design of buildings for wind loads shall be in accordance with one or more of the following methods:
  1. AF&PA; Wood Frame Construction Manual (WFCM).
  2. ICC Standard for Residential Construction in High-Wind Regions (ICC 600).
  3. ASCE Minimum Design Loads for Buildings and Other Structures (ASCE 7).
  4. AISI Standard for Cold-Formed Steel Framing—Prescriptive Method For One- and Two-Family Dwellings (AISI S230).
  5. International Building Code.
The elements of design not addressed by the methods in Items 1 through 5 shall be in accordance with the provisions of this code.

Where ASCE 7 or the International Building Code is used for the design of the building, the wind speed map and exposure category requirements as specified in ASCE 7 and the International Building Code shall be used.

If you post a link to pictures I will make them visible. The hardware that was used has installation instructions that are available over the internet. Was there a permit and inspections? What are the dimensions of the structure? Are there blueprints? If there are blueprints, were they followed?

If you post a link to pictures I will make them visible. The hardware that was used has installation instructions that are available over the internet. Was there a permit and inspections? What are the dimensions of the structure? Are there blueprints? If there are blueprints, were they followed?

C:\Users\jackson\Desktop\Sally

A Alabama local eh? Are licenses required in Alabama?
How big was your pavilion? 2015 International Residential Code R105.2 exempts accessory structures under 200 SF from requiring a building permit, although work is still required to comply with the code. I don't know whether Alabama or your locality made any modifications to this provision.
16X30- per the building inspector, a permit was not required.

No blue prints, no engineering designed, and will have look at Lowes tomm for the hardware that was used. I can't get this computer to

C:\Users\jackson\Desktop\Sally
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Uy2LE13Exal1KKLSm5ucy1Er3v7eb50P?usp=sharing

I looked at the photos. Because your building official said there was no permit needed, no one was able to verify that the work that was planned and performed met any particular code section for the wind zone that you live in. The benefit on no permit is no oversight of the work you pay for and that comes at a cost that is more significant than having something built right the first time. I am in a 170mph wind zone and nothing I see in the photos would even come remotely close to what would be required here which starts with drawings from an engineer. This is not just about protecting property but life safety as structures like this become airborne and have the potential to crash into the homes of innocent people.

While I commend you for bringing this to the forum, the answer to how to rebuild is with an AL licensed engineer and for your contractor to follow the design exactly as drawn (with no permit of course).

My impression is that it was guaranteed to fall over in a heavy wind, which it did.

The IRC was not intended to address this type of structure.

I looked at the photos. Because your building official said there was no permit needed, no one was able to verify that the work that was planned and performed met any particular code section for the wind zone that you live in. The benefit on no permit is no oversight of the work you pay for and that comes at a cost that is more significant than having something built right the first time. I am in a 170mph wind zone and nothing I see in the photos would even come remotely close to what would be required here which starts with drawings from an engineer. This is not just about protecting property but life safety as structures like this become airborne and have the potential to crash into the homes of innocent people.

While I commend you for bringing this to the forum, the answer to how to rebuild is with an AL licensed engineer and for your contractor to follow the design exactly as drawn (with no permit of course).
I am trying to sue the contractor. I am looking for some sort of code for foundations that would apply so that I could highlight and give to my attorney. Also, I was told that the washer used was too small for the bracket to prevent the dislodgement. Also, why was there no other stabilization for north/south vs east/west.

My impression is that it was guaranteed to fall over in a heavy wind, which it did.

The IRC was not intended to address this type of structure.
So nothing we can specifically cite in our letter to the contactor (lawyers letter).

That's the problem- my contractor thinks he did nothing wrong and will not pay for any repairs. I have retained a lawyer but he has asked me to find any violations he may have done minus any requirement in a permit.

That's the problem- my contractor thinks he did nothing wrong and will not pay for any repairs. I have retained a lawyer but he has asked me to find any violations he may have done minus any requirement in a permit.
There was most definitely a number of things done wrong.

That said, the right way for it to be done was with a permit and a design completed by a licensed engineer. We can't say specifically what is wrong (other than it failed structurally), because what should have been required is not evident without the engineer's design.

Your lawyer is apparently not familiar with how to deal with this type of case. I would expect your attorney to help you find experts to document the problems. He may likely be able to refer you to engineers he has worked with in the past. Find an attorney familiar with this type of litigation

Have your attorney hire an engineer who will then review the design and what was constructed. There may be legal advantages in having your attorney hire the engineer. Talk with your attorney.

It should be easy to document that what was constructed was in violation of the building code. While there may have been no requirement for a building permit what was constructed still needs to comply with the building code.

Ask your attorney how much attorney fees will likely be. Ask the Engineer for how much he will charge. Add in how much the contractor charged you. Then ask the attorney how much you could realistically get back. In many cases the attorney fees and the cost of consultants cannot be a part of the claim. The legal system may not work as it should. It may make economic sense to take the loss and do it right.

File complaints with the boards licensing engineers and contractors but do this only after talking with your attorney with respect to how this will impact your civil litigation. This will not likely result in your being reimbursed for your costs but it may result in fewer problems for others in the future.

Licensed contractors in some states must have a bond which might be available to satisfy any judgement.

While contractors have competence in certain areas they are normally not knowledgeable about engineering issues no matter how much confidence they claim.