• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Request of Variance

ihavefaith

Hi, I was wondering if anyone had any experience with requesting a variance for building past an existing property line. What is the procedure? Letter? Plan? Thanks!

Hi, I was wondering if anyone had any experience with requesting a variance for building past an existing property line. What is the procedure? Letter? Plan? Thanks!

On city property or someone else's/ neighbor???

What do you actually need the variance for???? Rated wall?? what??

New building? one going up?? existing building???

On city property or someone else's/ neighbor???

What do you actually need the variance for???? Rated wall?? what??

New building? one going up?? existing building???
To pass our property line in to the city. It is for a building we are doing. Goes over about 2 feet.

Probably zero chance of happening. Why would the city allow you to build 2 ft onto their property? Since the building has not been built, you need to redesign it.

Variance more than likely no

You can ask

Depending on the city land,,, location,, if it is junk land or other

City May sell it to you

Deed it to you

or other to you

Or say No

Probably zero chance of happening. Why would the city allow you to build 2 ft onto their property? Since the building has not been built, you need to redesign it.
Yes, the lady who works in the office said the variance is very hard to come by but to instead measure from the middle of the road there to the spot where we wanted to go past. She said if it is passed that point, as long as it was not more than 50 feet from that point to the middle of that road, we are ok to build.

question is, what would we be doing if we did that and how to show that to the city? Just on the plan put the building passed the property line? I asked what the land was, couldn’t tell me.

Yes, the lady who works in the office said the variance is very hard to come by but to instead measure from the middle of the road there to the spot where we wanted to go past. She said if it is passed that point, as long as it was not more than 50 feet from that point to the middle of that road, we are ok to build.

question is, what would we be doing if we did that and how to show that to the city? Just on the plan put the building passed the property line? I asked what the land was, couldn’t tell me.

Sounds like city property.

Suggest have a set down meeting with the powers to be, and show them on paper what you want to do.

So besides the 2 feet over,,,, what length of building are you talking about, that will be over the two feet???

No set back required??

If you have access to a real estate attorney, they could perhaps tell you how it works. This isn’t technically a variance question. You appear to be asking the city to abandon part of the road easement, not to exempt you from a code requirement.

Sounds like city property.

Suggest have a set down meeting with the powers to be, and show them on paper what you want to do.

So besides the 2 feet over,,,, what length of building are you talking about, that will be over the two feet???

No set back required??
Yes we just don’t know the process. We can building all the way up to our property line no set back.

If you have access to a real estate attorney, they could perhaps tell you how it works. This isn’t technically a variance question. You appear to be asking the city to abandon part of the road easement, not to exempt you from a code requirement.
It’s actually about 13 feet to the actually road.

It’s actually about 13 feet to the actually road.
The physical construction of the road doesn’t define the extent of the public easement. It’s just lines on the plat, like this attached image.

Attachments

• FEAAE5D2-CF14-47E0-800C-678590958469.png
    FEAAE5D2-CF14-47E0-800C-678590958469.png
    17.8 KB · Views: 4
The physical construction of the road doesn’t define the extent of the public easement. It’s just lines on the plat, like this attached image.
Thanks, yea I'm just wondering how to go about what the lady said to do.

Thanks, yea I'm just wondering how to go about what the lady said to do.
Based on your responses to the other comments you seem very confused about the situation. Do you have an architect drawing plans for the building? Have the architect draw the location of the building on a piece of paper along with the property lines and street right of way, and go talk with the permit office.

Based on your responses to the other comments you seem very confused about the situation. Do you have an architect drawing plans for the building? Have the architect draw the location of the building on a piece of paper along with the property lines and street right of way, and go talk with the permit office.
Thanks Hilton. I'm assuming we are going to ask to build on a right of way. I was told by the lady who works in the office that this is what we should do, not the variance because it was a difficult process. Just didn't know how to go about this. The formal way would be to get drawings, showing such crossing in to area and talking with them?

Thanks Hilton. I'm assuming we are going to ask to build on a right of way. I was told by the lady who works in the office that this is what we should do, not the variance because it was a difficult process. Just didn't know how to go about this. The formal way would be to get drawings, showing such crossing in to area and talking with them?

Simple site plan, show the building, show your property lines, show where the cities' property line is,,

Go talk to the bosses to be, unless the lady is totally in charge at the city.

They will tell you yes or no, and if yes the steps to take

Simple site plan, show the building, show your property lines, show where the cities' property line is,,

Go talk to the bosses to be, unless the lady is totally in charge at the city.

They will tell you yes or no, and if yes the steps to take
Thanks alot Cda, will do this tomorrow. Let you know how it goes.

I was told by the lady who works in the office that this is what we should do, not the variance because it was a difficult process.
You just don’t get it. Unless the nice lady gave you permission in writing ... its not going to happen.