• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Means Egress question existing S-1

sdpaddler50

Bronze Member
To the MOE experts out there; I am working on a project where a large warehouse is going to have the existing sprinklers removed, and ESFR and a pump will be added to accomodate a new tenant. There is an existing, rated exit tunnel that runs from the center of the warehouse, to an exit door on the exterior. I believe it was originally installed to meet the max 250 ft travel distanace per the original code the building was constructed to, because without this tunnel, some interior portions of the warehouse have a 275 ft travel distance to an exterior exit.

The new tenant would like to remove this tunnel, because it will interfere with their operations. If I apply the 2010 CBC and CFC, I am coming up with a 400 ft max travel distance allowed. This is based mainly on the criteria of 1016.3 of the Cal Bldg Code being met, which is below.

1016.3 Group F-1 and S-1 increase. The maximum exit access travel distance shall be 400 feet (122 m) in Group F-1 or S-1 occupancies where all of the following met:

1. The portion of the building classified as Group F-1 or S-1 is limited to one story in height,

2. The minimum height from the finished floor to the bottom of the ceiling or roof slab or deck is 24 feet (7315 mm), and

3. The building is equipped throughout with an automatic fire sprinkler system in accordance with Section 903.3.1.1.

Also, smoke vents are to be provided, so the 250' travel distance limitation pertaining to ESFR is not applicable.

So my question, is there any reason we would be prohibited from doing this?

IE, if the bldg is being renovated, and the MOE will satisfy the fire and bldg code criteria of the currently adopted standards by the AHJ, I belive this it is allowable to propose to the AHJ that the exit tunnel be removed. Agree?

should have said also submit an exit Analyses with the plans or if you set down p prior to submital

If all the requirements of CBC 1016.3 are met and the travel distance is less than 400 feet the tunnel is not required.

I would not fill it in, just in case you have a change of occupancy....just seal off the end.

Smoke vents can interfere with sprinklers, especially ESFR. If you require smoke vents, I recommend manual vents or melt-out vents.

Mark, thanks for the reply.

Re the vents, agreed. Fire testing at FM since the 70's has shown that smoke vents are not needed when QR ESFR are used, but that discussion is for another thread. This particular AHJ requires vents, even with ESFR. But, they also mandate the links of the vents be 2 ratings higher than the link of the heads, so that is a positive.

Typically...in an existing building, nothing stricter than new construction is required....if you could build it new that way, you are good.....and TJ brought up the only other concern that jumped out at me....