• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Is it time for a new code organization?

incognito: I agree in part. We the code officials have allowed this to happen in the past. As far a trusting Fire officials there are quite a number of them I would trust and I respect them as well. We need to be better organized, informed and present.

The idea and actions of "special interests" by a few isn't new (see Matthew

21:12, 13, NIV). IMO, Building Officials are hamstrung from the "get go" by

lack of funding, and the ability to actually make a difference by attending &

voting on change proposals (i.e. - no control of their own funding).

As I have been told in the past, a majority of the Fire Service finally got tired

of being the sacrificial lambs (so-to-speak), and organized to vote en masse'

on a code topic that directly affects them (i.e.- residential sprinklers).

The Building Official community can like it or not, but the Fire Service

community got tired of dying and being expected to be sacrificed in

structures where they knew it was a gamble at best to enter, in a fire event.

Special interest groups / manufacturer's / the fire service all have valid interests

in code proposals and changes, because they either can make a profit ($$$$),

or as in the case with the fire service community, ..they have "skin in the game!"

Other than seeking a reduction in the size of the overall codes, ..having some

common sense code sections rather than some emotionally based sections, and

having an actual voting voice (equality) in the process, does a building official

have an interest valid enough to get involved? In other words, what is it going

to take to get the Building Official community motivated enough to be actively

involved, ..typically without the support from above them?

Consider that building officials and fire officials are both special interests with different agenda.

Shouldn't fire and building officials have similar 'public' interests: life safety? Why should they have separate agendas? A house is not built by one profession: it takes carpenters, plumbers, HVAC contractors, electricians, design professionals, materials suppliers, inspectors, bankers, etc., and those are only the main players. How about the loggers, truckers, materials engineers, and other segments of manufacturing? If we pare down the agenda to life safety, then why can't we pare down the codes to life safety? Of special interest are the things that kill us: carbon monoxide, fire, electrical shorts, sewer gases, mould, off-gassing of toxic chemicals, and the list could go on; but I digress. Where have all the reasonable people gone?

I think fire and building folks have the overall same interests, life safety, safer buildings, but different ideas on how to get there, the end game. The fire folks showed up in force in Minneapolis, but in the end, virtually every jurisdation has amended out RFS's.

Perhaps if they could have got the lightweight framing protection in there first , then the go for the whole house sprinklers, it might have been more easily accepted. I haver had little push back in the lightweight framing protection, by way of sprinklers.

JMHO

ewenme said:
Shouldn't fire and building officials have similar 'public' interests: life safety? Why should they have separate agendas? A house is not built by one profession: it takes carpenters, plumbers, HVAC contractors, electricians, design professionals, materials suppliers, inspectors, bankers, etc., and those are only the main players. How about the loggers, truckers, materials engineers, and other segments of manufacturing? If we pare down the agenda to life safety, then why can't we pare down the codes to life safety? Of special interest are the things that kill us: carbon monoxide, fire, electrical shorts, sewer gases, mold, off-gassing of toxic chemicals, and the list could go on; but I digress. Where have all the reasonable people gone?
We SHOULD have the same interests, and ideologically we probably do. Take a look at [insert political hot topic here], there are excellent arguments on both sides. The sides understand that majority rules, and will do whatever it takes to gain the majority for themselves.

The reasonable people you seek are stuck in the middle and/or choose a "side" based on whichever they most closely associate whether they completely agree or not.

It's the great dichotomy of our times. US vs. THEM

mj

Uncle Bob said:
If the codes are decided by building officials; then that is where the problem lies. Who is the building official? Usually the Mayor, City Manager, Assitant City Manager, City Planner, or some other municipal employee who has little or no knowledge and code training. We have several building officials on this site; and they are very knowledgeable; however, they are in the minority of building officials in the United States. So the codes are decided on (voted on) by people who don't know much about them? I hope this is not considered a badge of honor. Uncle Bob
Amen!

BSSTG