• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Corridor Egress

= + =

Here we are 48 posts into the OP and no one has even mentioned

Accessibility requirements !.......I believe that most of us

agree that a 2nd Exit is needed in each Corridor and even

"required".....Add some wheel chairs, or occupants on

crutches to the mix and see what happens in a panic.

I am of the opinion that 2 exits are required, if for nothing

else than [ possible ] Dead End scenario, ...occupants & others

waiting / milling around outside each theater, and Accessibility

requs......Not sure I can can provide chapter & verse for "the

Letter" of the IBC other than [ `09 IBC ]:

Section 101.3 - Intent,

Section 104.1 - Intent and Purpose,

Section 104.11 - Intent,

[ `09 IFC ] 102.9 - Matters not provided for:

"Requirements that are essential for the public safety of

an existing or proposed activity, building or structure, or

for the safety of the occupants thereof, which are not

specifically provided for by this code shall be determined

by the fire code official."

If the BO cannot cite chapter & verse from the IBC to

substantiate the 2nd Exit, then the FCO can !

tudorvac,

FWIW, ...I agree with the "old farts" in your office,

...a 2nd Exit is required !

= + =

When I first looked at the diagram, I thought there was no way that it could be compliant with one exit from each corridor, but the more I read the OP's further descriptions, I really don't see where the code violation exists...

As the OP has described, he has three theaters emptying into a common lobby as the primary entry/exit (which is almost always how a multi-theater set-up has it's egress configured). No one has been saying that you have to have two exits from the lobby - as long as the 50% capacity is met, then the lobby has one entry/exit. So why would the rear exit access have to be constructed diffferenty? If it is constructed as a central lobby/vestibule, or, in this case, a corridor, I'm not seeing anything that would require a second exit from the exit access corridor, so long as dead-end is not exceeded (which, according to the OP, it is not). Each occupied space has access to 2 separate, remote exits, so common path does not come into play, either.

This is an interesting one, for sure!

Is I leave the theater into the lobby and the exit is blocked I can renter the theater and proceed to the corridor exit. I always have a second choice

If I leave the theater and enter the corridor and then find the stair well blocked i can not re-enter the theater if panic hardware is used on this door and they are locked from the corridor side to prevent theater jumping or security purposes.

No locking devise on the non egress side no problem

The corridor is non rated and affords minimal protection relying on a mechanical sprinkler system.

The legacy codes would have required a rated corridor regardless of sprinklers. I might be more favorable to a rated corridor in lieu of the "exit passageway" requirements for a single exit corridor leading to an exit enclosure