• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

BIG Changes to ICC CEU Requirements

Glenn

ICC is overhauling their CEU program dramatically over the next two years. More CEU's needed and 20%, 40%, then finally 50% of your CEU's MUST come from ICC or ICC approved education providers. Education from ICC Chapters (shockingly) does not count toward the 50%

Have a read:

http://media.iccsafe.org/news/eNews/2014v11n7/recert.pdf

CAUTION! SHAMELESS PLUG :roll:

www.buildingcodecollege.com is an approved provider and offers free education and affordable CEU's that DO count toward the 50%

= = : = =

This sure seems like they are changing horses in mid-stream, ...AGAIN ! :censored

Sure go ahead and make it harder for Code Officials to earn CEU's and

to maintain the ones that they have obtained.

"The Cow" is mooooooing again !

**jpranch**, ...any insights ?

= = : = =

Last edited by a moderator:
In a jurisdiction where certification is not an employment requirement, I have obtain mine for personal achievement. Since the city does not require them, they do not pay for them so this is all out of my pocket. I have maintained 5 certification since early 1990's and now will be thinking if it really benefits my interest to continue. It seems that this is a money thing aimed at discouraging smaller communities from obtaining qualified inspectors due to budget restrictions. My first cert was by UBC 1988 Edition, 2 hour open book, 2 hour closed book exam. I was actually proud of that certification since there were very few statewide that had obtained it. Now it seems that it only requires a lot of class time to maintain them. There is nothing wrong with classes, but small jurisdiction can't afford the time and travel expenses. I will have to dig deep to decide which direction I will go from here.

So, Glenn, what about our Ed Instutue here in CO? I have always thought that was an ICC sanctioned training, as also our Chapter meetings..................

Sounds like a money issue. I always thought their CEU program was a little lax, but I think this is going a little too far in the other direction. Chapter programs should be included.

Does not look too bad to me. I already do way more already. Remember that Chapters get a free ICC training day every year. At least they used to.

Take care of business there Jim, nothing here that can't wait a week or two. Support us well at the meetings and hearings.

I keep track of CEUs at ICC's website. If I so much as think about attending a class, that's good for .05 CEU.

Fatboy, and others: I was also shocked to see that "chapter education" is now second-tier, but indeed...that's how they've listed it. From what I "hear" some chapters have been handing out CEU's like Halloween Candy. I presume this is the catalyst. I suppose chapters will be able to apply and get status in the new preferred provider program, as the word is that they will be expanding that program. However, (currently at least) it's a pay to play program. Building Code College has to pay annually as a provider, and then there is a fee for each course. I don't think our chapter, Fatboy, is going to be very happy about that idea. I've already showed this to Dave. All I am told about the new program is that it will begin in September.

Georgia Plans Analyst: 1.0 CEU's were free for all of March for supporters of this forum. See link: http://www.thebuildingcodeforum.com/forum/training-opportunities/13861-support-forum-%3D-get-ceus.html

However, that promotion ended. The four free courses I have up right now each have a $49.99 CEU option worth .2 for some and .3 for others. Keep an eye out for more promotions in the future, both on this forum and elsewhere (*hint).

Inspector 102: I'm trying to help folks in your situation. I've already gone out on a limb to offer all my courses for free, but currently still charge for the CEU part to bring in some revenue for expenses. The long term plan for Building Code College.com is to make all of it free for the student, by putting it on the shoulders of the industry. I have recently secured a sponsor for the deck education (announcement coming in May*). Through sponsorships and creative thinking I hope to continue to make the CEU's more and more affordable. Go take the free courses (no strings attached), and help support this plan.

RLGA: I agree with you. It needed some tightening, but perhaps the adjustments will also need some massaging. There are some great chapter education programs out there (Colorado) that have long earned their reputation and should not be "second tier".

I don't know to go after this as an individual, but I am sure that the Colorado will not sit idly by for this to go through. We have been doing the Ed Institute for I believe, 40 years, sanctioned be the whatever governing code body............And the same folks that do the Ed Institute, typically do our Chapter meetings/trainings.

Calm down everybody, as I understand it the changes will not affect institutes like the Colorado event and others like it. Again, stay tuned. Fatboy, I'll send information back with Becky. I'll be back in the office on Tuesday and pull out my board packets from last year so I'm not working off memory. Want to get this 100% accurate.

Well my office only requires state certs and the state is not picky about where we get classes

Sorry I have not called you back my friend........we have a BOD Conference call upcoming for the CO Chapter, and Greg Wheeler is going to give us some updates. But, I would like to get your opinion. Hopefully I can set some time aside to give you a whistle.........

Good thing about this change is that I will only need 3 CEU's now instead of 4.5 :)

I renew my dozen certs this summer, so I am fine, but when I renew next I will need 6 vs. the 4.5 required now...........

Although I usually have more than enough CEU's, it looks like I may be having to visit the ICC on line campus.. I assume those will still be accepted?