• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Electronic plans

MikeC

Silver Member
I realize I am probably way behind on this, but I just received a set of plans in PDF form. I have never dealt with anything other than paper. I am all for decreasing paper use, but flipping through these plans on my computer is a major pain in the butt. Is there a better way to deal with electronic plans, or am I stuck using Adobe reader? Additionally, it is obvious that my computer is resizing the plans. When I set it at 100%, the scale is incorrect. I am getting ready to tell the engineer to print me two sets of plans like I am used to.

There's software available called BlueBeam Revu that allows you to view pdf files and measure within the pdf as you can calibrate the scale. I use it all the time to review plans. You can make markups in the files with your comments as well.

Adobe Acrobat Standard or Pro can do many to all of the necessary review, markup and measuring tool functions. Train your submitters to include dimensional criteria in their converted (*pdf) submittals and you should have no issues doing lengths and areas. You can also turn on/off layers using your toolbars. Just takes a few times working in and out in the pages and layer tool on the toolbar to become good.

Been doing it for 10+ years and it's hands down the best way. Have fun with it and embrace it :)

big monitor!!! to review plans on, and if there happens to be a football game on in between plans.

FM Bill nailed it. I have been using acrobat pro for about 15 years for electronic plan review. Once you set up your toolbar and format your comment boxes; it goes pretty well. Codegeek likes BlueBeam Revu; it is good but if you already are Acrobat proficient, stick with Acrobat so you don't have a learning curve time. There is capability in both the Adobe Acrobat Pro and BlueBeam Revu to do an online "live" conference with the Design Professional if you need to address questions on your review.

Hint: if you have a plan check list for the normal 1500 or so recurring plan prep problems, keep it open and copy/paste into the comment box.

Another Hint: if you get two monitors you can have a plan view open on one and a detail open on the other, makes it a lot faster.

Ahhh, bigger monitor. What a concept. The 15.4" screen on my Toughbook is too small. Looks like I can get a 27" for around $160. That's cheaper than a drafting table :)

= = )

...or you could take that file to a local printing business

and have them print it out for you, ...to the size you desire.

$ ~ $ ~ $

I would love to have it printed out but, as I said, I am all for conserving paper, so I will need to embrace this eventually. What better time than right now. I have plenty of time. The zoning application hasn't been submitted yet. I have been instructed not to review anything until after zoning has been approved. The 27" monitor has been ordered and should be here next Thursday or Friday.

You'll find that the big monitor helps a lot. Monitor on your laptop for your notes and put the drawings up on the big monitor, should be a really good set up!

As an Architect I use Bluebeam all the time, and I can appreciate that you can calibrate and measure old plans, etc. as a starting point.

That said, I have to ask all of you plan reviewers: Why should you be required to measure ANYTHING on the plans submitted to you for code compliance? I think you should be able to rely on printed dimensions, and the design professionals should be supplying you with those dimensions.

For example, you shouldn't have to measure whether a hallway is 44" wide. The plans should SAY it is " 3'-8" min. clear" wide.

Many architect's plans often say "do not scale drawings" in the general notes.

Diagonal distance

Travel distance

Not all submitters are detailed oriented

Especially the plans on electronic napkin.

I agree with CDA, lots of plans have plenty of the wrong details. Some have pages and pages of boilerplate that have nothing to do with the submittal. Others have wrong information such as the wrong state or code edition. I always find a need to scals drawings.

MikeC,

If your the AHJ better check your muni-code to see if you are not required by ordinance to accept only the documents allowed by the ordinance. Your established policy may have changed to allow the PDF's. Some muni's do not have to store plans forever and can destroy the old building plans. They typically keep the permit applications and copies of the permits for reference.

The general public believes they can get copies of house plans which again is a policy of the AHJ to copy or provide the requested info. I for one will not copy plans that are stamped by a RDP but will allow the plans to be viewed by request. What's kinda puzzling about submitted PDF's is that the contractors typically bid off of paper plans even plans not approved by the AHJ. So why can't the plans be submitted on paper as well as PDF?

How do you red line the PDF's??

PC

There are a lot of markup tools like lines, circles, rectangles, leader notes, and comment note boxes.

The hardest part is keeping track of where you are at in the plans since you get only one screen at a time. I recommend two monitors so a plan view and detail can be open at the same time.

There are a lot of California jurisdictions that are keeping plans as pdf files. Even scanning old paper plans for archive. This makes delivery to authorized persons quite easy. AHJ record copies are typically backed up on dvd or separate recover drives. The building volume saved and used for other purposes is quite valuable, especially in Cities or Counties that are growing in population where additional staff is being hired.

jd,

I'm looking into BlueBeam Revu, looking for a budget number for next year. One user license.

Me!

PC; Welcome to the exasperating world of electronic plan review. (After you start using electronic plan review, please use all your digits when you wave at your computer)

I have submitted multiple electronic plan reviews to several jurisdictions, and with jurisdictions that outsource to private plan review companies. Only one time was it faster than a paper submittal, and I suspect that's because the plan checker himself didn't really care to check closely. The biggest problems encountered are:

1. Poor user interface. For example, one major plan check consulting firm has a system where you can completely upload the plans, and it will tell you that you are successful - - but then you also have to press one more small/obscure button that says "submit", otherwise the software will not inform the plan checker that it is there to review. Yes, it was my problem that I missed the button, but I have since found out this is a very common mistake.

2. Sometimes a pdf gets corrupted or has something goofy happen to it. The same company in #1 above could not read some pdfs that were clearly readable in our own versions of Acrobat and Bluebeam. I had to send the plan checker hard copies just so he could proceed with the digital review.

3. Some plan checkers are more inclined to make a written comment on an 8.5x11 piece of paper, when it would be much more useful to point it out on the plan. (Bluebeam would be a tremendous help here.) I recently struggled with an exit path convergence question for a long time until the plan checker was kind enough to message me with a his cel phone photo of him pointing to the spot he was referring to, as it was displayed on his computer screen.

4. I am a firm believer in face-to-face backchecks to resolve sticky issues, not to pressure the plan checker, but just to make sure we are communicating well. The prevalence of electronic plan checks has reduced the likelihood of getting a face-to-face meeting.

NYS has some jurisdictions that accept electronic submittals, but we also have State Law regarding records and records retention.

Glad to be out of direct enforcement as I am an old fashioned paper plans kind of guy.

I’ve been doing building, fire alarm, fire protection and hydraulic calculations using Adobe and an Excel hydraulic calculation work sheet I created a few years ago with no issues and turn-around far faster than postal delivery services and firm mailroom delays. I like the abilities to cloud my areas of concern/deficiency and just electronically cut and paste the entire code text on the popup notes for the markup section. I print out a hard copy 11x17 with comments for field work because the iPad just doesn’t work as well for field plan viewing. I simply fold the hard copy in half and carry it in the iPad where I have all my iAuditor electronic inspection forms stored on for use during acceptance testing and occupancy approvals. Once one does it and learns it, you’ll never go back…..been doing it for years and on a FD budget you can get pretty creative. Heck I was using a Dell Axim for (pdf) field reviews and inspections 10+ years ago and if I can do it anyone can.