• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

BYOB Use Group?

StephNow

Under the 2009 IBC, what use group would you classify a BYOB painting studio? Essentially, this use is a place where people come together and drink wine and learn how to paint. It is often used for bachelorette parties and the like.

~2600
I thought B, but it seems, because of the alcohol consumption, that it may be an A.

The lady that cuts my hair serves alcohol,

She is not a place of assembly,

Or like someone wanted to call a movie theater that serves full meals, while you watch the movie, a Restaurant

Is alcohol the major part of the business

Or can they paint Conarb without the use of alcohol ???

Not everyone drinks

Son, never trust a man who doesn't drink because he's probably a self-righteous sort, a man who thinks he knows right from wrong all the time. Some of them are good men, but in the name of goodness, they cause most of the suffering in the world. They're the judges, the meddlers. And, son, never trust a man who drinks but refuses to get drunk. They're usually afraid of something deep down inside, either that they're a coward or a fool or mean and violent. You can't trust a man who's afraid of himself. But sometimes, son, you can trust a man who occasionally kneels before a toilet. The chances are that he is learning something about humility and his natural human foolishness, about how to survive himself. It's damned hard for a man to take himself too seriously when he's heaving his guts into a dirty toilet bowl.

Son, never trust a man who doesn't drink because he's probably a self-righteous sort, a man who thinks he knows right from wrong all the time. Some of them are good men, but in the name of goodness, they cause most of the suffering in the world. They're the judges, the meddlers. And, son, never trust a man who drinks but refuses to get drunk. They're usually afraid of something deep down inside, either that they're a coward or a fool or mean and violent. You can't trust a man who's afraid of himself. But sometimes, son, you can trust a man who occasionally kneels before a toilet. The chances are that he is learning something about humility and his natural human foolishness, about how to survive himself. It's damned hard for a man to take himself too seriously when he's heaving his guts into a dirty toilet bowl.
Good thing I drink....

Any place used for recreation, assembly etc that is 750-sf or greater would be assembly. 750-sf divided by 15-sf/person = 50-people. And that is just using table and chairs for assembly. Since the use of the space is "intended for food and/or drink consumption..." it would be an A-2.

Well maybe an A-3 since they do not sell the drink. However, some parties may have a cash bar.

The description presented is a meeting place to learn about painting, painting is a means of recreation and then the space is for socializing and parties. Those are assembly functions. If it is a studio and gallery you would still have assembly. The occasional use for parties trumps the lesser uses as I see it.

Business Group B.
Business Group B occupancy includes, among others, the use of a building or structure, or a portion thereof, for office, professional or service-type transactions, including storage of records and accounts. Business occupancies shall include, but not be limited to, the following:

Educational occupancies for students above the 12th grade

Professional services (architects, attorneys, dentists, physicians, engineers, etc.)

Training and skill development not in a school or academic program (this shall include, but not be limited to, tutoring centers, martial arts studios, gymnastics and similar uses regardless of the ages served, and where not classified as a Group A occupancy).

The alcohol use is a by product and would not be there every time.

It more than likely would be set up as a art training studio.

Based on the zoning submittals, alcohol is a major component of the business model; they are just side-stepping the oppressive PA Liquor laws and enforcement by not selling the drinks.

A3 would be my vote because A2 would otherwise involve the sale of food and/or beverages. But the consumption of alcohol that is brought into the space by the consumer becomes irrelevant to me.

If they served wine (communion) in a church (A-3) would you make them change to a A-2?
If they bring beer to their office (B with over 50 occupants) every day for lunch would you make them change it to A-2?
I don't think so.

Reactions: cda
If they served wine (communion) in a church (A-3) would you make them change to a A-2?
If they bring beer to their office (B with over 50 occupants) every day for lunch would you make them change it to A-2?
I don't think so.

You go there!!!

The space hosts "bachelorette parties and the like". That sounds open ended.

I once bowled in a bowling league, (172+avg, but who cares) just because a dude in the locker room has a fifth of JW in his locker does't make it an A-2.

B< 50 >A,

Burp...