• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Over-cut / bored studs in interior bearing wall, DWV

o_m_r

I'm a new home owner who's recently become interested in DIY and homebuilding best practices, and wondering the best way to resolve some apparent code violations after multiple contractors have done work on a structural wall during our still in progress bathroom remodel.

The wall involved is a 2nd floor interior bearing wall consisting of 2x4 studs, 16 O.C., with 3/8" OSB sheathing.

photos:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e3k8gf31e93tfng/7w%B6h4uTeuJezYExK%XKQ_thumb_a52c.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g54r1flq7t630gt/UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_a554.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/icti6394dstwwbj/GNywSBlKRByrdUrYEqjkKw_thumb_a45f.jpg?dl=0

My area has not adopted Ch. 11 on of the 2012 IRC and so the 2012 UPC covers the plumbing.

Without getting into how the cuts and holes got there, although I will if asked ;), as shown in the photos, I’ve got 3 "successive" studs cut and/or bored beyond 2012 IRC limits.

I plan to add 1 full height stud to the stud cut through at the far left for electrical (switch bank), toe nailing to top and bottom plates, face nailing to the original stud, gluing the narrow side to the sheathing and adding Simpson’ A35’s to reinforce the new stud to the sheathing.

That leaves me with 2 successive studs ( 1 single and a pair of doubled studs at the edges of 2 panels meeting).

The horizontal vent line ( 1-1/2” ) is fine in the sense that I can easily install stud shoes for each penetration, as explained in the exception for 2012 IRC, Ch. 6, R602.6.

However, with the lower penetrations for the drainage line ( 2” ) I can’t install stud shoes on theses studs because on the single stud, the hub of the combination wye fitting will conflict with the rim of the Simpson’ HSS shoe, and the doubled studs have so much material removed that I can’t fasten all the screws.
Beyond that, both the single and doubled studs have conditions where it might be necessary to install additional shoes or some other repair, i.e. for the empty bored hole in the single stud, and the hole being too large for a stud shoe in the doubled studs.

I could add a new separate stud to take the place of the single damaged stud, and have room for stud shoes for each notch of the DWV piping, and it would be 16” O.C. from the new stud I’m adding next to that first cut stud from the electrical work. However, I’m thinking I’d need to remove the drywall from other side of the wall and properly nail the sheathing to this new stud, which for obvious reasons I’d rather avoid. Unless using A35’s would be sufficient to secure the sheathing to the stud?

For the doubled studs, I’m at a loss for what would be a sufficient repair other than completely replacing them, which would for sure require me to nail the sheathing to the new studs from the other side of the wall since these are supporting the edges of the panels.
Adding a stud to either side of the doubled studs still leaves me with one side where the stud shoe can't be fully fastened, and no one makes a stud shoe for (4) 2x members if I tried to add studs to both sides.

I'll put nail plates over the PEX supply lines in the doubled studs, or wherever else the IRC and UPC require.

Is remove and replace the studs my only option? My best option?

Any advice and opinions would be greatly appreciated.

I suggest checking with the official if this is a permitted project or an architect/engineer on making the repairs with heavy duty (16 gauge) stud shoes from Simpson Strong Tie or USP in accordance with the exception to section R602.6 in the (2012) IRC.

Hope this answer will be satisfactory as I did not read beyond the 1st picture in your post.

Welcome to the BCF and maybe other members be of further assistance.

Get with a licensed design professional, Architect or Engineer
One option is to furr-out the entire wall with with bearing wood or metal studs, maybe bearing flat studs,
transfering the load into the new wall.

Second floor 3/8" OSB doesn't sound like much of a braced wall to me. Strap the face of the studs with CS16 a foot past the damage. Use short nails. Get some more studs where they will slip in. Toe nail the studs.
Conventional light framing relies on repetitive members. If a few get knocked out, the building isn't likely to fall down around you.

Second floor 3/8" OSB doesn't sound like much of a braced wall to me. Strap the face of the studs with CS16 a foot past the damage. Use short nails. Get some more studs where they will slip in. Toe nail the studs.
Conventional light framing relies on repetitive members. If a few get knocked out, the building isn't likely to fall down around you.

Thank you.
To make sure I'm understanding you right, apply a length of CS16 strapping vertically along the narrow face of each damaged stud, approx. 1' beyond each end of the damage?

It appears to me the CS16 strapping only offers tension loads. But adding some additional studs as you suggested could compensate for compression loads I assume.
I also saw this tie that offers both compression and tension loads CTS218 Compression and Tension Strap
and Simpson' mentions stud repair in the description but doesn't list any recognized application on studs in terms of testing/listing/codes.
I wasn't considering it because the IRC seems to only recognize shoes as a repair (other than having an engineered and approved solution), and I was worried the flange on the strap would make installing drywall an issue.

Get with a licensed design professional, Architect or Engineer
One option is to furr-out the entire wall with with bearing wood or metal studs, maybe bearing flat studs,
transfering the load into the new wall.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'd rather consider other options than changing the depth of the wall and having to redesign the room considering what's already been installed. In that case I think I'd rather completely replace the damaged studs, i.e. rebuild that section of the wall.

I did have a licensed framing contractor assess the wall and he suggested trying stud shoes and screws in the split area to help reinforce, but suggested that in reality that he believed those were ultimately for my psychological benefit and that the wall was stable as-is barring an 8.0 type seismic event, which he suggested at that point the wall wasn't a factor considering the entire structure's resistance.

I might have a structural engineer come in as you suggest if I can't find a reasonably certain solution presented without one.

Thanks again.

Simpson Strong-Tie seems to interpret the IRC to limit the number of successive notched/cut/bored studs to 2, regardless if they are single or doubled:
https://embed.widencdn.net/pdf/plus/ssttoolbox/mtsncnavbn/F-REPRPROTECT09.pdf?u=cjmyin

The IRC could be interpreted to be saying the limit applies to 2 successive doubled studs and that the exception pertaining to stud shoes, if approved, is an exception to to the 2 successive stud limit as well:

"R602.6 Drilling and notching of studs.
Drilling and notching of studs shall be in accordance with the following:
1. Notching. Any stud in an exterior wall or bearing partition shall be permitted to be cut or notched to a depth not
exceeding 25 percent of its width. Studs in nonbearing partitions shall be permitted to be notched to a depth not
to exceed 40 percent of a single stud width.
2. Drilling. Any stud shall be permitted to be bored or drilled, provided that the diameter of the resulting hole is
not more than 60 percent of the stud width, the edge of the hole is not more than 5/8 inch (16 mm) to the edge of
the stud, and the hole is not located in the same section as a cut or notch. Studs located in exterior walls or
bearing partitions drilled over 40 percent and up to 60 percent shall be doubled with not more than two
successive doubled studs bored.
See Figures R602.6(1) and R602.6(2).
Exception: Use of approved stud shoes is permitted where they are installed in accordance with the
manufacturer's recommendations.
"
http://codes.iccsafe.org/app/book/content/2015-I-Codes/2015 IRC HTML/Chapter 6.html

I've seen multiple installations/repairs where way more than 2 studs in a row had shoes, and suggested it was approved locally.

I haven't been able to find any official statement, i.e. from the ICC or AWC, etc., but I see where studs notched beyond code limits are "built up" with multiple members in numerous real world examples of conventional framing.

Is it an understood practice that building up studs in this way effectively compensates? If so, is there any guideline or formula to determine how many studs would be needed?
I wondered if I added enough studs to the damaged studs, face nailed to each other, etc. if in reality I could effectively reinforce the structure, meeting the spirit of the prescriptions even if it didn't strictly meet the literal prescriptions?

Thanks again all,

@ = @ = @

o_m_r,

IMO, ...I too like the idea of creating another "furred out" wall
in front of that Wood Butchery, and transfer "some \ most"
of the loads on to it........You may even consider using 4" x 4"
atypical beams, ripped down to 3.5" x 3.5", in place of
traditional studs, for more load bearing capacity.

@ = @ = @

You have four optionsas I see it:
Get a licensed design professional
Furr out the wall
Put plywood on the entire wall
Reframe and replumb

After taking the time this morning to thoroughly read the OP; would it be possible to put a header above these damaged studs to remove the load and add bracing across the damage studs in place for the plumbing and sheathing support?

In all likelihood if this is in a planned development built by one or two contractors it could have this condition throughout the structure and the neighborhood with no problems until the threshold is exceeded that is below the expected minimum.

Last edited:
Sounds like this is after the house was accepted

And owner is already having remodel work done, by someone with a big saw

After taking the time this morning to thoroughly read the OP; would it be possible to put a header above these damaged studs to remove the load and add bracing across the damage studs in place for the plumbing and sheathing support?

In all likelihood if this is in a planned development built by one or two contractors it could have this condition throughout the structure and the neighborhood with no problems until the threshold is exceeded that is below the expected minimum.
My thoughts as well, but I don't know if the venting would allow it.

Thank you all for your input and suggestions.

This work is not part of the original construction. Obviously the first contractor should've roughed-in the sink drainage into the floor to tie into the existing drainage and vent straight up into the roof, both as done for the original.

I thought about a header as well. I didn’t consider it further because I’m not familiar with significance of the variables pertaining to the vent penetrating the header and the fact that the header would run through the doubled studs that are each supporting edges of a sheathing panel.

If considering the header:

If I’m understanding the IRC correctly, the width of the house is short side? If so, the width of the house is 29’ 4” W. The span of the damaged studs, from the nearest full height stud to the other, not including the far left stud (cut for electrical) which will have a new full height stud essentially sistered to it and this new stud would act as a king stud, the span is 4’ 4” maximum.

According to 2012 IRC, Ch. 6, Table R602.7.1 Spans for minimum No. 2 grade single header, (p. 161):
With a wall supporting a roof and ceiling, 36’ building width, and a span of 4’4”… I do not know the pitch of the roof, so I would be safe and use the 30 psf snow loading category, that then allows for a single 2x10 Hem fir or better (I’d use Douglas fir) header with a 2x4 flat on the top and bottom of the 2x10, with 1 jack stud on each end.

The IRC allows for approved “framing anchors” to be used in lieu of jack studs to attach the single member header to each king stud, which might be preferable considering the space in the stud bays with the plumbing.

The IRC also allows for the wall’s top plates to be used as the top flat 2x4 of the header. So, I believe the existing vent bored through the top plates could clear the 2x10, requiring only a 2” deep notch in the header bottom plate. I could install reinforcement strap/plates to both the top plates and the header bottom plate.

1. Is it worth the trouble of building the header considering the 2” deep notch and reinforcement strap/plate at the vent penetration?

2. What’s the significance, if any, of the fact that the 2 sheathing panels meet at the doubled stud, which would then be underneath this header?

3. Would I still need to expose the back of the wall (remove drywall) to nail the sheathing to the header? Which if so, would seem to negate the benefit of building the header, and it seems like I should just replace all the damaged studs, and rebuild the sections of the plumbing that conflict with installing stud shoes?

Also, just to add some more info. The wall is on a second floor of a two story house, and supports trusses that run/span the length of the house. Beyond this wall is an attached garage and a living space above, where the webbed floor joists/trusses and the roof trusses both run perpendicular to the rest of the house. Those trusses do not directly rest on this wall.

Thanks again everyone.

Thank you all for your input and suggestions.

This work is not part of the original construction. Obviously the first contractor should've roughed-in the sink drainage into the floor to tie into the existing drainage and vent straight up into the roof, both as done for the original.

I thought about a header as well. I didn’t consider it further because I’m not familiar with significance of the variables pertaining to the vent penetrating the header and the fact that the header would run through the doubled studs that are each supporting edges of a sheathing panel.

If considering the header:

If I’m understanding the IRC correctly, the width of the house is short side? If so, the width of the house is 29’ 4” W. The span of the damaged studs, from the nearest full height stud to the other, not including the far left stud (cut for electrical) which will have a new full height stud essentially sistered to it and this new stud would act as a king stud, the span is 4’ 4” maximum.

According to 2012 IRC, Ch. 6, Table R602.7.1 Spans for minimum No. 2 grade single header, (p. 161):
With a wall supporting a roof and ceiling, 36’ building width, and a span of 4’4”… I do not know the pitch of the roof, so I would be safe and use the 30 psf snow loading category, that then allows for a single 2x10 Hem fir or better (I’d use Douglas fir) header with a 2x4 flat on the top and bottom of the 2x10, with 1 jack stud on each end.

The IRC allows for approved “framing anchors” to be used in lieu of jack studs to attach the single member header to each king stud, which might be preferable considering the space in the stud bays with the plumbing.

The IRC also allows for the wall’s top plates to be used as the top flat 2x4 of the header. So, I believe the existing vent bored through the top plates could clear the 2x10, requiring only a 2” deep notch in the header bottom plate. I could install reinforcement strap/plates to both the top plates and the header bottom plate.

1. Is it worth the trouble of building the header considering the 2” deep notch and reinforcement strap/plate at the vent penetration?

2. What’s the significance, if any, of the fact that the 2 sheathing panels meet at the doubled stud, which would then be underneath this header?

3. Would I still need to expose the back of the wall (remove drywall) to nail the sheathing to the header? Which if so, would seem to negate the benefit of building the header, and it seems like I should just replace all the damaged studs, and rebuild the sections of the plumbing that conflict with installing stud shoes?

Also, just to add some more info. The wall is on a second floor of a two story house, and supports trusses that run/span the length of the house. Beyond this wall is an attached garage and a living space above, where the webbed floor joists/trusses and the roof trusses both run perpendicular to the rest of the house. Those trusses do not directly rest on this wall.

Thanks again everyone.

No harm, no foul

You have four optionsas I see it:
Get a licensed design professional
Furr out the wall
Put plywood on the entire wall
Reframe and replumb

Thanks Mark.
I hadn't considered adding sheathing to the exposed side of the wall. That's interesting and possibly acceptable in terms of the design compared to furring out the wall. Hmm...

Unless there are clear advantages or even clearly no loss of structural integrity by building the header, I think rebuilding and re-plumbing where necessary might be my best option.

Mark's suggestion of applying sheeting if nailed properly would be a good fix IMO, be careful with the fasteners and added stud guards if you can.

Thanks Mark.
I hadn't considered adding sheathing to the exposed side of the wall. That's interesting and possibly acceptable in terms of the design compared to furring out the wall. Hmm...

Unless there are clear advantages or even clearly no loss of structural integrity by building the header, I think rebuilding and re-plumbing where necessary might be my best option.

think rebuilding and re-plumbing where necessary might be my best option.

Not a plumber or carpenter

Can you cut just the black pipe.

Ad one or two 2x4 on one side or both

Replumb black pipe

Here's what I do not understand, do plumbers in your area get paid by the lineal foot and fitting. The drain height is offset from the 1st Tee, why not stack another Tee immediately atop of the 1st Tee and come off with just an arm then eliminate the additional overhead vent arm. Not trying to add confusion to the situation buttttttttt.