• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Barn door slider framing opening

Brent b

when framing out an opening for a barn door slider are Jack studs required to meet code since there is no actual impact at the opening

I googled the question and this forum popped up. would you happen to have an answer

I do not do houses give it a couple of days, most on the forum take the weekend off.

Which building or residential code and year edition are you designing to??

Helps with the question

I do not do houses give it a couple of days, most on the forum take the weekend off.

Which building or residential code and year edition are you designing to??

Helps with the question
  • 2012 International Residential Code and current amendments in maricopa county, az

There might be alternatives like Simpson header hangers
HH4_2_640.jpg

Last edited:
I will add check the barn door manufacturer requirements

Your answer also might depend on how heavy a door you are going to install

Reactions: JBI
Track must be attached to solid backing capable of supporting the weight of the door, drywall alone is not enough.
What is height of the door to be? Given that the track spans the top of the opening some type of header/solid framing would be required, thereby requiring some kind of support/framing on each side of the opening as Mark has shown.
Is this an inspection question or a DIY? See manufacturer install instructions. I recently installed one to replace my in swinging bathroom door but I left the existing jamb in place, only removing the trim.

@ = @ = @

Brent b,

Refer to the `12 IRC, Section R602.7 - Headers, Table R602.7.1,
Note " f ".

I agree with the others, ...yes "Jack Studs" must be used !

Thank you for coming to this Forum to ask your question.

& ~ & ~ &

yes "Jack Studs" must be used !
I do not agree
IRC does not intend to prevent the installation of any material or to prohibit any design or method of construction.
Alternatives can be used if they are approved by the AHJ.
The Simpson Header Hangers are a engineered alternative means of compliance, if you follow the Evaluation Report .

Point, it would better help us to understand the source of questions if new members indicated their background on their profiles, ie: AHJ, designer, contractor, owner, DIY, etc.

+ = +

Mark,

You are correct !.......I should have also listed Section R104.11 - Alternative
Materials, design and methods of construction and equipment, [ from the
`12 IRC ] as an option............Note " f " is specific to that section for Headers.

My apologies to the Forum community !
:(

= + =

Reactions: JBI