• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Building Department Permit Fees

jar546

Forum Coordinator
I'd like to share some building department permit fees just to see some of the differences around the world. Please feel free to share a few of yours. Some fees are established, set fees and many if not most are based on the cost of construction. Here are a few that I looked up. Please state location.

Established Fees:

Water Heater Replacement - $109 Danville, California
Furnace and AC Replacement - $186 Danville, California
In Ground Swimming Pool (new) - $325 Easton, Pennsylvania
Reinspection Fee - $109 Danville California

Based on Valuation:

$100,000 - $500,000 - $643.75 for the first $50,000 plus $7.00 for each additional $1,000, or fraction thereof, to and including $100,000 Danville, California

$100,000 - $500,000 - $1,585, plus $12 for each $1,000 over $100,000 Easton, Pennsylvania

One and two-family residential buildings:
(a) First $500.00 valuation of construction costs (total contract amount) MINIMUM FEE 100.00
(b) $501.00 and up (1.75% of the remaining total estimated valuation of construction costs; includes all plan 1.75% check fees and subpermit fees, except fire.) Fire permit fees are in addition to these fees. Boca Raton, Florida

Value.
0-$500.00 -$15.00 fee
$501.00 - $2,000.00 - $45.00 fee

Water heater avg fee $18.00
200 amp service avg fee $42.00
Avg Deck fee per sqft $12.50 - $15.00 w/stairs, composites ++
Furnace and a/c ave value is all over the place, seen value at $1,500.00 up to $8,500.00

I guess most big cities have rather contorted rules for permit fees. I've attached a one from Louisville Kentucky which is 9 pages:

Attachments

• Louisville bldg. permit fees.pdf
    105 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Here in the middle of Illinois, for residential:

New construction - $0.20/sf habitable space, $0.15/sf non-habitable
Remodel, value of $5000 or greater - $30 + $0.07/sf for the space that's altered. Under $5000 value - $25
Detached garages, patios, decks - $30
Demolition (any structure) - $30
Pools - $20
Electrical - $20 (which covers any electrical work up to and including replacing the service)
Mechanical - $20
Roof - $30
Driveway - $10

We don't charge for inspections. And no plan review fee for anything residential (unless we have to send the plans out to a third party, which hasn't happened since I've been here..).

99% of the time, residential permits are issued the same time you walk into my office and ask for one.

Since Jeff cited Danville CA in his original post, here is some information on Danville for either a new home or ADU.

Planning and Building Permit Costs for A New Custom Home or Accessory Dwelling in Danville, CA
At New Avenue we have paid over 30 different types of permits to get residential projects approved. These are “normal” projects too such as additions, remodels, restorations, accessory dwellings accessory structures and custom homes.
One of the architects who is a partner at New Avenue’s recently completed in depth research for the permitting fees of a new Accessory Dwelling in Berkeley, CA. Here are his findings from December, 2015.

We guarantee your project will be different! This is a great starting point if you are researching. Most people have never heard of all these fees.

Planning/Zoning – Planning Division Plan Check Fee

Building Plan Check – Structural and Architectural Plan Review

Building Permit Issuance – Building Permit Fee

Mechanical, Electrical, and Plumbing

Water

Can we connect to the main home, and do we need a new meter?

A new meter sized for water use and Fire sprinklers is required

$24,500.00 ¹

¹ https://www.newavenuehomes.com/plan...om-home-or-accessory-dwelling-in-danville-ca/

Water Heater Replacement - $109 Danville, California

Tank or on demand WH?

I just issued a gas WH tank permit and the fee was $15.00. I admit that's low, but using fatboy's chart that same permit valuation would be $23.50. How does Danville, CA get $109.00?

If I were home owner there I would look at doing myself without the permit, but I'm sure the water heater police would get me? Hay look the sticker sez 2019, lets see if they pulled a permit?

Do these permit fees include inspections? I can't imagine my 3rd party company would even do the paperwork and start the car for anything under $125 which is our minimum fee.

Do these permit fees include inspections? I can't imagine my 3rd party company would even do the paperwork and start the car for anything under $125 which is our minimum fee.

Yep, I don't have the authority to charge an additional fee for doing inspections on top of the permit fee charge.

Third party is in business to make money I would think.