• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Building permit frustration at boiling point in Sooke

mark handler

SAWHORSE
Building permit frustration at boiling point in Sooke
Builders plan a mass meeting with Mayor

https://www.sookenewsmirror.com/news/building-permit-frustration-at-boiling-point-in-sooke/

“Right now it’s taking three months to get a building permit in Sooke. That’s just unacceptable and it’s driving up the cost of housing in Sooke.”
“We’ve had a posting for a building official out there for months, and we’re not alone. Many municipalities are having trouble filling this position,”

Here's an unpopular opinion that's sure to win me all kinds of friends...

If your department takes longer than a week (at the very outside) to hand a residential applicant a permit after they apply, then your jurisdiction is doing it wrong. And you're making the rest of us look bad, so knock it the ____ off.

The guy issuing permits should know the building codes, and all of the City residential requirements (and I don't mean memorized, I mean he should be able to find everything in the books and in your ordinances). There is no reason that he shouldn't. If he doesn't, or worse yet can't, then it's not because he can't do the job - it's because you have too many rules.

Here's an unpopular opinion that's sure to win me all kinds of friends...

If your department takes longer than a week (at the very outside) to hand a residential applicant a permit after they apply, then your jurisdiction is doing it wrong. And you're making the rest of us look bad, so knock it the ____ off.

The guy issuing permits should know the building codes, and all of the City residential requirements (and I don't mean memorized, I mean he should be able to find everything in the books and in your ordinances). There is no reason that he shouldn't. If he doesn't, or worse yet can't, then it's not because he can't do the job - it's because you have too many rules.

JCarver, I wish that this forum would have a like button with FIVE Stars! You sir, are right on target!

They could always have a 3rd party inspection company do plan reviews.

Rick has the temporary answer, the third wheel would get them by, until they hire that special someone that can figure out how to issue a permit in a reasonable time frame!