• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

2015 ICEE Lighting Controls

Box-o-Rocks

I'm doing a design for a small 2 stroy + basement library and they want to have all of the switching for the lights on one swtich at the reception desk. After some code review I found that 2015 ICEE C405.2.2.3 Manual Controls states I can have them in a centralized location, so long as there is indication of the status of the lights. (Obviouly not quoted).

My question is, if I have a toggle switch with "On" "Off" (1 pole / 1 throw switch) markings and a placard stating that the switch controls lights on floors B,1,2 in *location*, does that meet code? Or if I use a lighted toggle, or will I have to have 3 pilot lights per floor?

A network lighting system is overkill for this small space, so planning that is out.

Thank you for the input!

Manual Controls Section C405.2.2.3
Manual controls comply with the following:
Readily accessible to occupants
Located where the controlled lights are visible OR
Must identify the area served by the lights and indicate their use.
Labeling or signage appears to meet that requirement.

So the markings on the toggle switch would meet this requirement?
Yes I would accept it but that holds no water. You need to talk to the "Authority Having Jurisdiction", it is their call, not someone on the internet that has no real say in your matter.

My plan was to contact the AHJ, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't going to sound like an idiot.

Thanks for your input, it helps to think someone else is comfortable with my idea.

How are you getting out of occupancy sensors and lighting reduction and automatic shutoff?
Maybe you have an answer for this because there has been confusion around my shop. Is it actually BY CODE required to have an occupancy sensor in a lobby. The list of required areas is veryy specific, but it does not specify lobbiesand. Now I know they are good ideas to have, but... where does it say they are a must?

How are you getting out of occupancy sensors and lighting reduction and automatic shutoff?

Maybe you have an answer for this because there has been confusion around my shop. Is it actually BY CODE required to have an occupancy sensor in a lobby. The list of required areas is veryy specific, but it does not specify lobbiesand. Now I know they are good ideas to have, but... where does it say they are a must?

I don't think staveray is just talking about the lobby