• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

What do you mean my permit expired??

My permit for an addition is now 10 years old. The inspector retired last year and I haven't herd from the township. Why should I ever get a C. O., it will increase my taxes.

My permit for an addition is now 10 years old. The inspector retired last year and I haven't herd from the township. Why should I ever get a C. O., it will increase my taxes.[/QUOTE

Someone once said: "You should want to pay your taxes!"

I'll let you figure out who said that one!

cda, I can see wall bracing through the scrub trees, I might be interested in a steel framed building? How much?

Haven't seen steel framed houses before? Interesting .......
Requires an engineer as you can't use simple span charts.

I do pay taxes. And I'm not finishing the addition because of taxes. But it won't increase untill I get a C. O. The addition is like a hobby for me and am not going to rush to finish it. Also I build when I have time and some spare money and had a lot of medical bills lately. It's possible that I might be dead before it's finished.

No, I haven seen a steel constructed house nor inspected one probably have to bond it? :) but I have seen a concrete house and a sips house.

cda, I'd like to see a hay-bale house and a thatch roof which I believe are both allowed by code? You got any of those in your area?

Haven't seen steel framed houses before? Interesting .......
Requires an engineer as you can't use simple span charts.
There is Steel framing in the residental codebook, and span charts. If it complies, may not "Require an engineer."
Section R603 Cold-Formed Steel Wall Framing
Section R804 Cold-Formed Steel Roof Framing

You could probably deconstruct that one, mark the pieces and relocate it, if cda will certify it!

Sorry we have hay, but the cows and horses eat it to fast,,

No thatch roof, not close enough to the beach

I do pay taxes. And I'm not finishing the addition because of taxes. But it won't increase untill I get a C. O. The addition is like a hobby for me and am not going to rush to finish it. Also I build when I have time and some spare money and had a lot of medical bills lately. It's possible that I might be dead before it's finished.

Your permit expired after 5 years in PA. You have no permit.

California Business and Professions Code 6737.1 while it allows some residential buildings to be designed by an individual not licensed as an engineer or architect this exemption is only applicable to wood frame construction meeting certain criteria.. Thus a building constructed with metal studs would require a professional engineer or architect.