• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Townhome water and sewer.

Sifu

SAWHORSE
I can't find a requirement, but want to check with the experts. Does the IRC prohibit a group of townhomes from being on a single water and or sewer service, with a single entry and distribution under the units to each unit? I know it is usually a water/sewer department issue but I have been asked to find any codes that relate to it.

No Code requirement that I'm aware of, however..............one of the major reasons/advantages for building Townhomes is to create "separately owned single-family dwellings" by doing a "lot split". If a single service crosses several parcels (i.e. lots) of land creating separately owned single-family dwellings becomes a bit messy with the creation of easements, service agreements and other problems. I would suggest doing separate services for each "future" separately owned single-family dwelling. Just some thoughts.

No Code requirement that I'm aware of, however..............one of the major reasons/advantages for building Townhomes is to create "separately owned single-family dwellings" by doing a "lot split". If a single service crosses several parcels (i.e. lots) of land creating separately owned single-family dwellings becomes a bit messy with the creation of easements, service agreements and other problems. I would suggest doing separate services for each "future" separately owned single-family dwelling. Just some thoughts.
Thank you for the response. We are in agreement, and this is usually driven by the water purveyor, but in the case I was asked about the language by the purveyor isn't there so I was asked if there was code that could be used. Ours is regulated by the purveyor, and they go by ownership. A master meter can be used if the units are not individually owned, but they require a service line curb stop to each unit for the eventuality that they will be sold as individual owners.

The legacy codes required separate lots for each town home. The IRC does not. Our zoning requires each town home to be on an individual lot so not an issue here.

Refer to UPC
Thank you for the response. We are in agreement, and this is usually driven by the water purveyor, but in the case I was asked about the language by the purveyor isn't there so I was asked if there was code that could be used. Ours is regulated by the purveyor, and they go by ownership. A master meter can be used if the units are not individually owned, but they require a service line curb stop to each unit for the eventuality that they will be sold as individual owners.
In CA, CRC refers to CPC (and UPC), and please see section 307.0 and 311.0.