• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Why we should be using the metric system in the US

I talked to my favorite surveyor, not to keen to that idea, switching to metric. Old surveys that have to be researched at County and State files would have to be converted to metric, and there's some math involved. There could be calculation mistakes that could be costly when doing conversions. I review surveys and catch a lot of mistakes in the land descriptions part that do not match the numbers on the survey drawings. it happens more than you think.

He indicated the state tried switching to metric once, but went back to standard measurement system.

We did it.

And you guys have probably done this in the past. Ever get a survey plan that used "chains" as the length of measure?

Metric has many advantages for measuring, and that part of it is easy to get used to.

It could take a lot of effort to get engineers used to doing calculations in metric, and almost all "rules of thumb" will have to be relearned. I'm used to the general range of CFM / SF for various types of buildings, and I know to recheck my HVAC calculations when it looks too far out. Getting used to M^3 / sec / m^2 will take some time.

Structural engineers will have it worse. A Pascal (gram / M^2) is equivalent to a feather per square yard. 1 PSF is almost 50 Pascals, and 1 KSI is 7,000,000 Pascals (or 7 MegaPascals), so you get into having to use scientific notation fairly quickly, especially when you're dealing with steel & concrete. Back in the (good old) slide rule days I found it was a lot easier to keep track of the digits than the exponents. I guess almost everything is done by computer nowadays, so that might not be as much of a problem.

Conversions are a problem, especially with temperatures. I've seen several articles where the writer didn't realize that they should use F = 9/5 C for difference instead of F = 9/5 C + 32, so a difference of 50 deg. C came out as 122 deg. F instead of 90.