• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Anyone tried to view the ICC hearings?

I quit drinking about 30 years ago; and not looking for an excuse to start.

Uncle Bob

Did you follow the resounding defeat of the 'Ratification' amendment to the bylaws? This appeared to be a "shame on us" situation, as the trusty ole fire service showed up en masse and testified against it, thereby sending it down in flames. While I agree ratification may not be the answer, it certainly points the process in the right direction - away from the prohibitively costly and time-consuming hearing process to a 'remote' system.

Code: I missed that due to a very busy week. however, I was disappointed in the little I could see and hear. The quality of the production lack of sound and freeze ups probably would of prevented me from seeing it anyway. The IT sections of ICC is in need of over haul. They can't even produce a BB let alone a view of a hearing. God forbid they every get remote voting.

It does not surprise me to hear of a vote as described. I have been to the last two major hearings and seen the first hand the results. Tyco and other have bought the floor. The only way change to the process is going to happen is organized votes. Building inspectors could play the same game. It is a shame that the codes that are intended to protect life and property are for sale. I will get off the soap box now. I have said this many times.

The Fire Service can accept money from everywhere; the NAHB can buy Building Officials by paying their way to the hearings (all expenses) through the new rules; and the inspectors and plans examiners, who have to deal with the real world problems of code compliance have no voice; have no organization; and no money.

Done Deal,

Uncle Bob

It is only done till people stand up and bring change. If it does not happen it will be the same old stuff. Sad!

This Tuesday should show a big change in our country. The people are demanding that the junk of the past does not continue. Both republicans and Demo's are to blame. If it does not start to turn around in two years I think there will be more of the pork people kicked out. ICC is nothing more then a fly on a cows back side. If they don't get it together they will fade away.

At this point, we can no longer blame the fire service, etc. - they're rightly acting in their best interest. When they run the same play over and over and over again, however, and we don't change our strategy, then it's either our fault or faulty rules. I tend to think a little of both.

Uncle Bob said:
The Fire Service can accept money from everywhere; the NAHB can buy Building Officials by paying their way to the hearings (all expenses) through the new rules; and the inspectors and plans examiners, who have to deal with the real world problems of code compliance have no voice; have no organization; and no money.
In layman's terms, how, on a national basis, do the inspectors and plans examiners obtain a unified voice, a unified organization, and some unified money?

Also, how does this all tie in with maintaining, (or eliminating), regional authority to alter and administer the code?

Code I agree! The little of both is most certian.

Jobsaver: The answer is that we all need to work together. A system of communication is the first step. Establishing common goals is the next issue to be address. We will all never agree on all issues, that is for sure. However, there is common ground for inspectors to work from. It will take people willing to step forward and willing to improve the system we have. It is not about getting a new system just voting in the changes needed to make a better process and eliminate the special interests groups. The ? is often raised would we not become the same. Yes the answer would be, but if that's what it takes to bring change so be it.

It seems to me that the place to start is to establish a voting process amongst ourselves, and to decide whether or not our voice is to be established by a popular vote or a representative form of vote. For example, our state already has an organization comprised of code officials, Code Officials of Arkansas (COAR), having an elected body of officials and operating according to Robert Rule of Order. Perhaps this body could speak for Arkansas to any newly formed Code Officials of the United States (COUS), or Code Officials on the World (COW).

Do other states have like organizations?

Association Talk

In my opinion there needs to be a bi-partisin (spelling?) code official effort to include building, mechanical, electrical, plumbing and fire to address "special interest" influences in code development. I have served on many committees in code development and until the officials begin to agree on measures that can we can find common ground and improve code initiatives we will all be fighting each other at the podium or committee level. Strength comes with numbers and we all don't need to agree on everything but should be able to recognize what can benefit the common good and "safety" in real world applications......sorry for the rant.

RJJ said:
Code: I missed that due to a very busy week. however, I was disappointed in the little I could see and hear. The quality of the production lack of sound and freeze ups probably would of prevented me from seeing it anyway. The IT sections of ICC is in need of over haul. They can't even produce a BB let alone a view of a hearing. God forbid they every get remote voting.
The freeze ups had little to with ICC and more with how bad the connection was at the Charlotte Convention Center. This issue was addressed, but I am not sure how resolved it ever became during the Hearings.

Here are the Final Action Hearing Results, and this is the final version too.

V767

I was watching, monitoring as background noise, the energy portions of the code hearings.

Thank god they don't allow firearms.

the noise over consistency between IRC ch 11 and IECC ch 4, and the 30% and the water waasted by not having

in the envelope insulation .................... KAAAABOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!

the occasional freeze ups were a welcome diversion it cooled my desire to expurgate.

RI has statewide (covered by small sheet) chapter

RI Building Officals Association http://www.riboa.net

Last edited by a moderator:
FM: You and I are on the same page. Now 50% of my work is fire, but I am still a building inspector to start. These go hand in hand. The problem is how to organize? Then the task of direction to bring real change in the voting process. We first need to gather enough voices willing to move forward. I certainly don't believe that the group should be just building inspectors or plumbing inspectors. It needs to be just inspectors. At the end of the day building and fire need to work together. The real issue is that the ICC process has put the regulations in the hands of special interests. To bring the needed changes we need to put votes on the floor. If needed we need to change management and any and all obstruction that will fall short of a better process.

I was there in Charlotte. Some of the comments I heard were: 'This seems a lot more civilized than Minneapolis.' 'Where do you get this b*** *hit?' and others. As this was my first time attending the final action hearings, I had questions for the more seasoned: Is it always like this? Is this more civilized than Minneapolis was? Are there always the same faces testifying? Why don't more building officials testify?

The answers I got: Way more civilized than Minneapolis. Always the same faces testifying. They can't afford to come for the whole week.

One question upon leaving, the last day: Would I do it again? [this came from a seasoned attendant] Yes, I would, but I'd like to be one of the ones proposing code changes: common sense needs to be infused on a much larger scale.

After sitting through several hours/days of hearings here's what I can tell you: It's the lobbyists who do the code change proposals, for the most part. Some changes actually do come from building inspectors. It's the lobbyists who are pro or con for the proposals. They are passionate and loyal to whomever is paying for their loyalty. The voters were building officials, and some of them actually formed voting blocks and stuck together like tar and feathers, much to the dismay of some of their neighboring jurisdictions. It looked to me like sheer numbers of voters was all it took to make or break a code change proposal: common sense had no say at all.

I still think we need an 'Independent Building Inspector/Official Organization' with our own paid lobbyists [from our own ranks] to participate at the high levels. Then we need to do some fund raising to get more votes to the hearings.

IMHO: There are a lot of well-meaning nice people who are part of ICC who are passionate, informed, and good at heart. I only wish they were the majority!

Dumb question #1

Speaking from strictly the building inspector perspective, how would I, as an inspector, have any better of a grasp on what a code "should be" than any other party? I don't see enough of any one issue to have a statistical sampling of whether my "results" have any bearing.

Since this thread is going in that direction,

And, not hoping or expecting anything; but; here are a few suggestions:

Form a national organization of Certified Inspectors and Plan Reviewers including Fire and other specialty Inspectors. These are the people who know the codes; and, work with the codes at the ground level.

(Having all certified members adds credibility to the orgainization. They also are the majority of elegible voters.)

Code Committees:

Appoint/elect Committees for each code from volunteers/applicants.

Committee Members required to be Certified in that code.

Two separate committees for each code;

One committee, to examine new code adoption/change proposals; offered by other organizations; which will be considered at the ICC hearings. This committee would research the code proposal and present their findings and recommendation; to the general membership for consideration to support or defeat that code change proposal.

Another committee to consider and write code proposals and changes to be submitted for adoption at ICC hearings. These code changes and proposals should be submitted by the general membership to the committee. Members proposing new code adoptions and/or changes must be certified in that code.

(Again this gives weight and credibility to the proposal/change)

A committee to study and provide guidance on ICC hearing rules and proceedures for code change proposals.

Here is one that may not be popular; but, could be invaluable. A committee to research within other organizations; and, gather information conserning the source of their funding and/or incentives to offer their code change and/or adoption proposals.

Note: There are Code Official/Building Official organizations throughout this country. That does not indicate that they have the best interest of building safety and structural integity. There are one or two that would make great allies; but, many would not.

A committee to work with other organizations; to support each other's proposals and code changes, that we agree on. We would not form any other organizational affiliation with those organizations; but, remain independent.

First, an organization must be formed. Two or more individuals is all that is needed to start; but, it must be complete; and a formal, legal organization. It must be independent and not affiliated with any government organization (municipal leagues, code organizations, etc.). Bylaws, and all that stuff must be in place before soliciting membership. Establish a website and heck; you can even call it the Don Quixote Code Club.

There is nothing as invigorating as tiltling at windmlls and winning. :)

Uncle Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
Carol: Thanks for you view! You have always had both feet on the ground and thus your view comes with great respect from me. My message has and will not change. It boils down to votes on the floor as Carol has now experienced for the first time. Glad you got to see the show!

ConArb:

AAMA [American Architectural Manufacturer's Association]; Concrete and Masonry Institute; Fenestration organizations [loosely coordinated]; CDC [yes, Centers for Disease Control]; Healthy Homes; Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL); DOE; Fairfax County Virginia; Quality Buildings; New York City Buildings Department; Energy Efficiency organizations [several individual, not necessarily a coordinated block/group]; Green Building groups; and a few building officials who had proposed code changes: VABOA, Massachusetts BOs, Nevada. The list could go on.

Yes, indeed, it was very political. Watching a block of building officials vote for a specific industry proposal had me wondering. And the same not voting for a common sense proposal from a building official. Amazing. Fearsome. Strange.

I was glad to finally get to see the workings at that level; and more importantly, I'd go back with some code proposals if I had support! Without some support, my jaws would just be flapping in the wind. :)