• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

An average day

On a tangent, I was always impressed that Gehry so closely matched this sketch...

With the final product:

Brent.

So what code section did you cite? Was this a direct-vent appliance?

The return air plenum is under the furnace and the grille is cut in the door.

The separation from the plenum and the furnace compartment is a rubber gasket that doesn't touch the door.

Last edited by ICE; March 1st, 2014 at 19:17.

Blog this Post Thanks

It is not a direct vent. We require a 10' separation between the return air grill and any opening into the furnace closet. The concern is that the return air suction might overcome the furnace vent. Code section I don't have. It could be that nobody does.

I agree with the concern of back-drafting the appliance if the grille in the door did not provide the correct amont of net free area and the space did not provide adequate combustion air. It looks like the dirt marks across the door indicates a pretty snug fit. Lets see 1/8" gap X 32" door width = 2 sq inches of opening. I know we like to err on the side of caution when dealing with gas appliances but unless the combustion make-up air was questionable I don't think requiring the gasket to make contact with the the door would make a difference if the appliance backdrafted or not.

We ask for weather strip around the door when it is within 10' of the return air grille. I see your point but I am not willing to take a chance with CO.

You left this picture out of your reply. It is the only combustion air opening that I could find. It's a good 12' from the attic access and there is maybe 24" headroom. I can't see any daylight coming into the small attic so this will require a ducted combustion air opening from the exterior. I find it aggravating that contractors don't know about this, or don't care.

12859380904_345005461d_b.jpg

When I returned for a re-inspection, I found that the door had been cut into two pieces so that the return air grille was not in the door. The door was sealed properly and the combustion air opening was still plugged up with debris. There were other corrections but this was over a month ago and I can't remember all of the details.

Last edited:
High Desert said:
sheathing not nailed to roof members? Mismatched tire on his car?
There's a couple hundred feet of replaced sheathing that has one nail at every other rafter.

First floor of a two story apartment building. There was a fire. This corner was found to be rotten.

14409165665_3214aa6bfb_h.jpg

Last edited: