• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

An average day

ICE said:
This is a walk-in bathtub. The access to the disconnect is through a plastic cover. I hate those covers because I worry that I will break it trying to open it. From the outside, you can see the edge of a disconnect.

This is a rat's view:

This is the sub-panel that feeds the disconnect.
I have seen that before inside kitchen cabinets.

Chris found a big one buried in a kitchen wall. After seeing that, I realized that nothing is impossible.

The owner arrived at the same time as I. The permit was taken out by the owner. I said, "An Owner Builder permit is only allowed if the owner lives at the property" He said that he plans to live there. I said, "I'm going with the for rent sign"

14642708836_c4f0f68828_b.jpg

Last edited:
ICE said:
The owner arrived at the same time as I. The permit was taken out by the owner. I said, "An Owner Builder permit is only allowed if the owner lives at the property" He said that he plans to live there. I said, "I'm going with the for rent sign"
Would you believe ... I'm going to rent it to myself???

Two thoughts. Some people just don't think about the clues they leave lying around. And I'm impressed with the clarity of your pictures. What do you use for a camera.

TheCommish said:
Another do over. I never understand why we can afford to fix it, but not do it correctly the first time
Unfortunately it was approved by another inspector the day before I observed it. I have been instructed to not write corrections on work that has been approved because that makes the department look bad.

I was filling in for that inspector and the inspection request slip said "footing". As it turned out, that footing was at a different location on the same property. I didn't know that because the other inspector didn't sign the permit for this work. So I started to make comments. That's when a job card was produced with the approval signature and the contractor canceled my inspection.

There were three people there, the owner, the owners designer, and the contractor. As I was walking away, the designer asked me if the contractor will have to fix the things that I pointed out.

There was no footing steel across the top of the footing at the garage door openings. The steel is in the dirt at the bottom. The forms are crooked and flimsy. The HD anchors are against the dirt. There are no sill splice bolts. There is a stem without an anchor bolt. None of the dowels are set in epoxy. The steel is under the dirt at the slab. There is an interior footing with no anchor bolts. There is waste pipe with no protective wrap. The steel isn't tied. The overlaps are too short or not at all. The slab hasn't been thickened where the new slab meets the existing. The Strong Wall templates aren't there and this will result in a void under the plywood that holds the bolts.

I was there for less than three minutes....didn't look at the plans....didn't get close enough to the work and could have written at least 14 corrections.

But hey now, the department is looking really good......and I like a short inspection.

I am certain that there are people that will see this and be offended by my cavalier attitude. I have tried to work within the system towards a solution. There is no cooperation. It's not my problem to solve.

Last edited by a moderator:
We Do It Nice construction. Because we do it twice.

I'm fortunate to have good contractors working in my jurisdiction, except for sanitary tees, the plumbers can't seem to get that correct. I even gave them pictures of where they can be used. Most just don't get it. I think after cutting up his work the latest on might remember.

Ice,

When the designer asked if the contractor will have to fix these things, did you ask the designer what do the contract documents require?

Ice, do you have contact with the other inspectors in your office? or are you completely on your own, this project looks like a real good learning opportunity for the Other Inspector.