• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

​CT Gov. Malloy introduces bill to modernize parking signs for disabled

mark handler

SAWHORSE
CT Gov. Malloy introduces bill to modernize parking signs for disabled

http://www.thehour.com/news/malloy-introduces-bill-to-modernize-parking-signs-for-disabled/article_f8e7d4fa-d82b-11e5-93d4-ef47f44d9ad8.html

56c8faf1d0f08.image.jpg

NORWALK, CT

CT Gov. Dannel P. Malloy announced that he has proposed a bill that would modernize the parking signs for people with disabilities on Friday.

Malloy states that the updated symbol and language is a better representation of the disabled community who use the parking spaces.

“This has been an issue in disabled communities for a long time and it’s great that it’s finally being relayed that this message is not appreciated,” said Norwalk Human Relations Director Adam D. Bovilsky. “I applaud (Gov. Malloy’s) sensibility and hope we see clarifications on handicapped parking laws.”

The proposal states that the updated signs will only be installed when the old signs have become damaged or a new handicap accessible parking space has been created. Malloy states that the new signs will not come to any additional costs to the taxpayers or local businesses. Malloy’s proposal is called “House Bill 5050, An Act Modernizing the Symbol of Access for Persons with Disabilities.”

“For decades, Connecticut has been at the forefront in fighting discrimination against persons with disabilities and this proposal is just one small, simple change that we can make,” said Malloy. “Even though it will have zero costs, it can have an important long-term impact by fostering a deeper understanding of accessibility.”

The new symbol is called the “Modified International Symbol of Access,” and places more emphasis on the person instead of the wheelchair. Malloy’s proposal will also replace the word “handicapped” from the signs and replace it with the word “reserved” — a term he has deemed being more inclusive.

“Its a great idea, but I never thought of it as being offensive,” said John Edgar of New Britain. “But I can see their point”

“Changed the Sign, Change the Attitude” was a campaign started by Stephen Morris, executive director of Favarh, The Arc of Farmington Valley, to promote the new sign design in Connecticut last fall. Morris has also created an online petition that has over 2,000 signatures.

“I’m excited to work along with the Governor in changing our handicapped symbol to one that displays both physical and mental independence,” said the Governor’s Liaison to the Disabled Community Jonathan Slifka. “It is my sincere hope that we can all view the spirit of the sign rather than the literal vision and agree that this change is appropriate and long overdue.”

But not all possess the same level of enthusiasm and never considered it a problem.

“I don’t think the old sign is offensive at all. I think people have become too sensitive. It just doesn’t bother me,” said Tierra Collins of White Plains who has a handicapped parking placard. “I think we are just becoming just too (politically correct).”

“(The old sign) was never a problem for me,” said Shirley Fulton of Norwalk. “My sister has been handicapped for over a year now and (the sign) has never bothered us.”

The State of New York adopted a similar bill replacing the symbol with a modernized version, and some small businesses in Connecticut have already voluntarily made the change. Cigna, a business in Connecticut, has already begun changing their parking signs at their building locations across the state.

“It’s time that we change the image of the disabled community,” said Bovilsky. “Its a wonderful thing that they are finally getting this recognized.”

Too bad that the new symbol doesn't meet federal ADA requirements! I'm personally disabled and don't have a problem with the old symbol, mainly because it's readily identifiable by everyone. Make a change like this even though it small will just add confusion to the subject and not really accomplish anything.

My genius state.....I call it the hotrod wheelchair guy....So much for ISA....BTW most of Cigna's signs are noncompliant by a long stretch and I do not believe they even have a proper accessible route to the main entrance....Reserved...why don't they call it what it is "accessible", OH yeah, because they didn't ask anyone who knows anything before they went and did it...