• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

0 lot lines

BSSTG

Gold Member
Greetings,

2012 IRC applies. Guy wants to put single family dwellings 4' apart from each other. I figure it can be done if facing walls are rated 1 hour, no openings etc. The concern to me is the projection of the roof line being the soffit must be rated also. In reading the table 302.1(1), it looks like it's ok as long as the projection is less than 2' and it is 1 hour rated on the underside, no penetrations etc.

Could this be done?

BS

& ~ ~ &

How will you get a 1 hr. rated roof ?..........Also, are there no

soffit ventilation openings on that side ?...........Your Zoning

is going to allow this ?

& ~ ~ &

north star said:
& ~ ~ &How will you get a 1 hr. rated roof ?..........Also, are there no

soffit ventilation openings on that side ?...........Your Zoning

is going to allow this ?

& ~ ~ &
IRC doesn't make mention of the roof, only the underside of the overhang. Other ventilation will have to be provided. I've got that covered. No zoning.

BS

@ = @ = @

Wouldn't the roofing material also be required to be 1 hr. rated ?

Typically, ...asphalt shingles over-hang on the edges.

I have seen the effects of when a fire jumps to a neighboring structure.

Just sayin'...

@ = @ = @

If a building wall is within 5′-0 of the property line, check projection and opening limitations under R302.1. Also, check for a fire rated construction detail for all areas that are required to have protection.

We have dealt with this issue as well. As long as the wall and eave are rated, they are good to go. The idea is to provide some protection until the Fire Dept. arrives. Otherwise I think they would have required a parapet for greater separation. And the handout that cad linked illustrates it very well

cda, Pierce County apparently amended their 2012 because those footnotes don't show up until the 2015 IRC.

I've permitted a code modification using the 2015 IRC TABLE R302.1(1) (dwellings without fire sprinklers) footnote "b. Roof eave fire-resistance rating shall be permitted to be reduced to 0 hours on the underside of the eave if fireblocking is provided from the wall top plate to the underside of the roof sheathing."

Not my intent to sidetrack this thread but to help; if anyone knows how footnote c works would appreciate the information;

"The roof eave fire-resistance rating shall be permitted to be reduced to 0 hours on the underside of the eave provided that gable vent openings are not installed."

Last edited by a moderator:
Harscher said:
We have dealt with this issue as well. As long as the wall and eave are rated, they are good to go. The idea is to provide some protection until the Fire Dept. arrives. Otherwise I think they would have required a parapet for greater separation. And the handout that cad linked illustrates it very well
Don't worry, I'm sure he has been called worse.

Welcome to the forum Harscher.

@ ~ ~ ~

Francis,

I will take a WAG at your question........Possibly, the Code writers

[ may have ] believed that if the separation distance of "greater

than 2 ft., but less than 5 ft.", [ in Table R302.1(1) ] is enough

separation, so that any flames would not curl downward and

under the eaves to propagate the spreading at the eaves.

Is there an approved fire rated, eave & roofing assembly out

there, for the Framers to use ? :confused:

~ ~ ~ @

Last edited by a moderator: