• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

05 NEC, Ufer mandatory? 250.50

BSSTG

Gold Member
Greetings all,

Forever and a day where I've been on the 99 Code. Sur nuff here came the 05 about a year back where I was and, is used where I'm at now. That said, one of my buds from Galveston Bay Area called me today and said they were being challenged on the requirement of the Ufer ground. They have been requiring it in his jurisdiction to be installed on new construction. I had only read the electrode section once or twice a while back as the local utility where I was and am now could care less about the Ufer. Bottom line is, is it required? As I read 250.50 it would appear that it is not mandatory that it be installed on new construction except that if it is present it is required to be bonded to the system etc.

As a side bar to this, it seems to be mute point as 99% of our concrete has a vapor barrier under it anyway.

BS

BSSTG said:
As I read 250.50 it would appear that it is not mandatory that it be installed on new construction except that if it is present it is required to be bonded to the system etc.
It is present and needs to be utilized.

As a side bar to this, it seems to be mute point as 99% of our concrete has a vapor barrier under it anyway.
I have seen much debate about this issue, yet IMO the vapor barrier is perforated by the plumbing and electrical underground roughs and usually doesn't extend vertically fully up the footer. All that said, is the concrete encasement of the electrode not in contact with the earth?

If the concrete encased electrode is present it shall be bonded to other systems present. The wording does not require it. But you have to install a grounding electrode as described by 252 (A) (4) thru (A) (7) if you don't have (A) (1) thru (A) (6) {which includes the concrete encased electrode}.

On the vapor barrier, no the 05 NEC (and the 08 NEC is basically the same) states "in direct contact with the earth". With a vapor barrier it is not in direct contact with the earth, even if the vapor barrier is penetrated by Electrical and Plumbing systems.

chris kennedy said:
It is present and needs to be utilized.I have seen much debate about this issue, yet IMO the vapor barrier is perforated by the plumbing and electrical underground roughs and usually doesn't extend vertically fully up the footer. All that said, is the concrete encasement of the electrode not in contact with the earth?
I agree.

Chris

I would agree, we have some residential construction that they don't install rebar so they have to pick another system to ground. I don't believe that I would ever build without installing some rebar.