• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

1-hour finish

kilitact

Gold Member
I'm looking for a listed, 1-hour spray applied finish, for a wood roof deck in a III-B, I-2 occupancy

Re: 1-hour finish

Most of the manufacturer's information is very misleading. "1-hour rating" gets thrown around alot, but it doesn't necessarily give you a 1-hour assembly, and probably won't if it's intumescent paint on wood. Most of the time coatings are "approved" by a 1-hour flame spread test, but not a true fire-rated assembly test.

up to the AHJ to approve; there are intumescent products out there.. and with historic structures, we really need to do a lot of research. (OK.. the structures have been there for 200 years, but now, because they are remodeling, they need to fire rate)..

Kilitact,

It's about time you got here. Glad you made it. :)

Uncle Bob

Kilitact

Are you trying to put a 1 hour surface on the roof top or are you trying to protect the underside of the decking from an interior fire?

I am trying to understand the purpose of the protection. What Code section are you referencing?

thanks for the response; Table 601 footnote C, requires 1-hour protection if less than 20 foot. hey UB, thanks for the howdy do-de.