• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

1 hour fire wall

chris kennedy

Sawhorse
Plans show an existing 1hr wall, one layer 5/8 rock on each side, 3 5/8 stud. Took quite a while longer than expected to install 7 new outlets.:censored

DSCN2101.jpg

Is it a fire wall or a fire partition or a fire barrier? Fire walls have to remain in place upon the collapse of the building on either side. Fire partitions are often rated partitions used in corridors. Fire barrier are used for occupancy separation and shafts and require the same rating as the wall for their supporting structure. Office software will not let me see picture. I think others have answered your question.

Looks like a practice where a three hour rating was required and somebody let them place the required rating on one side of the wall. Often, a common practice when dealing with existing buildings.

3/4" sheet rock with 3 - 5/8" layers of sheet rock ..... Things that make you go Hhhhhmmmmmmm.....

Builder Bob said:
Looks like a practice where a three hour rating was required and somebody let them place the required rating on one side of the wall. Often, a common practice when dealing with existing buildings.
Please tell me you are joking.

The Gypsum Association has some interesting 2, 3, and 4 hour rated walls that are asymmetric. WP 1529 and WP 1943 are examples.