• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

10% Accessory Use

rshuey

A local cupcake store is expanding into my jurisdiction. They will be baking cupcakes in another building and selling them in this building. Previous use was Mercantile, they would like to stay away from a change of use.

They would like to use 10% of the M floor are for a few tables. The tables are small 2' round tables with 2 bar-type chairs. Do each count as the 15 net SF as per table 1004.1.1 or can I use the actual space they take up which is about 8 net SF?

The overall space is only 1000 SF, so this may be a deal breaker for the seating they need.

As always, thank you in advance.

Less than 50 people would be M use. 15 applies over the seating area, not just the area of the table or chair. They need to get creative and carve the space to less than 735 sf net.

I would calculate my occupant load at 1/15sf if the tables and chairs are not fixed. There are also allowance for reductions. I do not see how this affect your occupancy?

I think your missing something more important, a 1-hr wall seperation from the table to the cupcakes! :)

Using net allows you to only count the occupied space which should help, IMO

pc1

Last edited by a moderator:
Coug Dad said:
Less than 50 people would be M use. 15 applies over the seating area, not just the area of the table or chair. They need to get creative and carve the space to less than 735 sf net.
In IBC, a restaurant is an A2, and when it has less than 50 people it is B, not M. See 303.1 exception 1. Other codes classify small assemblies as M.

rshuey said:
A local cupcake store is expanding into my jurisdiction. They will be baking cupcakes in another building and selling them in this building. Previous use was Mercantile, they would like to stay away from a change of use. They would like to use 10% of the M floor are for a few tables. The tables are small 2' round tables with 2 bar-type chairs. Do each count as the 15 net SF as per table 1004.1.1 or can I use the actual space they take up which is about 8 net SF? The overall space is only 1000 SF, so this may be a deal breaker for the seating they need. As always, thank you in advance.
The area where people eat is 1/15 net..

ty all. ty brudgers. I appreciate the info. that's what i thought, so he can have 6 tables. Sounds good.

Keep the seating area under 750 sq ft and call the whole thing an "M" occupancy. No change in use

303.1 Assembly Group A.

Assembly Group A occupancy includes, among others, the use of a building or structure, or a portion thereof, for the gathering of persons for purposes such as civic, social or religious functions; recreation, food or drink consumption or awaiting transportation.

Exceptions:

3. A room or space used for assembly purposes that is less than 750 square feet (70 m2) in area and accessory to another occupancy shall be classified as a Group B occupancy or as part of that occupancy.

As mtlogcabin has suggested, it seems that it could be classified as a part of the 'Use Group M' occupancy or classified as a 'Use Group B' occupancy. If allowable floor area is an issue, which it probably isn't since it was originally a 'Use Group M', classifiying it as a 'Use Group B' would get you more floor space.

If they have more seating than would be permitted based on 1:15 ratio, it woould probably be wise to consider the actual desing seating load. in any case, if the occupant load does not exceed 49, it would not be a 'Use Group A-2'