• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

1008.1.8.5 Unlatching 2003 IBC

steveray

SAWHORSE
How do we (or DO we) reconcile a "classroom" hardware set on a common door interior to a business use (corridor)? By "classroom" (I think that is what I remember them being called) I mean key outside button/ thumbturn inside, but not auto unlock like a privacy? It does not require a key or special knowledge, but is not one motion either...Follow up question, are those "button/ thumbturns" accessible?

Thanks All!

Yep.....and that discussion is part of what got me thinking of this.....that was mostly about a seperate lock and now I am asking about one integrated into the lever action lockset....

A classroom lock is unlocked/locked with a key in the outside lever - there is no push button on the inside for the kids to mess with.

It sounds like you're describing an office or entrance function. Most of these allow free egress - turning the lever retracts the latch(es). There are some locks where the lever does not retract the latch(es) - you have to turn the thumbturn and then turn the lever. These are not very common and IMO they do not meet the egress requirements for one operation to unlatch. This function is not very common though.

Thanks Lori!......"Designer" just put "lockset" on his plan for waiting room door in a medical fitout....It's been 10 plus years since I installed any amount of commercial hardware and figured I was misremembering the names. I am sure I installed some incorrect ones back then, but that was what was spec'd and it passed inspection unfortunately...