• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

1012.6.3 Change of Use - Exceptions -New Openings?

kas

Many thanks in advance.

Change of use to lesser hazard classification. How does exception 4 apply to new openings? Not required to be protected? Sum of area of required protected openings can exceed 50%?

1012.6.3 Opening Protectives

Openings in exterior walls shall be protected as required by the International Building Code. Where openings in the exterior walls are required to be protected because of their distance from the lot line, the sum of the area of such openings shall not exceed 50 percent of the total area of the wall in each story.

Exceptions:

1. Where the International Building Code permits openings in excess of 50 percent.

2. Protected openings shall not be required in buildings of Group R occupancy that do not exceed three stories in height and that are located not less than 3 feet (914 mm) from the lot line.

3. Where exterior opening protectives are required, an automatic sprinkler system throughout may be substituted for opening protection.

4. Exterior opening protectives are not required when the change of occupancy group is to an equal or lower hazard classification in accordance with Table 1012.6.

I agree it’s a poorly written exception.

I would interpret this to mean that if the change is to a lower hazard occupancy, compliance to Section 1012.6.3 is not required. Thus, if opening protectives would be required by the IBC under normal conditions, this section would not require them for existing openings. IEBC 302.4 requires new and replacement materials to comply with the requirements for new construction, so if a new window is added and the area of existing windows does not exceed the area permitted per the IBC, then a new window can be installed. If the area of existing windows does exceed that permitted (50%, I would argue, unless the IBC allows more) then I would say the new window would need to be protected.

I think existing protectives may be addressed in the folllowing- I think that 1012.6.3 may be for new openings. Otherwise, isn't it a duplication?

1012.6.2 Exterior Wall Rating for Change of Occupancy Classification to an Equal or Lesser Hazard Category

When a change of occupancy classification is made to an equal or lesser hazard category as shown in Table 1012.6, existing exterior walls, including openings, shall be accepted.