• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

1013.5 guardsmon a roof?

mtlogcabin

SAWHORSE
1013.5 Mechanical equipment.

Guards shall be provided where appliances, equipment, fans, roof hatch openings or other components that require service are located within 10 feet (3048 mm) of a roof edge or open side of a walking surface and such edge or open side is located more than 30 inches (762 mm) above the floor, roof or grade below. The guard shall be constructed so as to prevent the passage of a sphere 21 inches (533 mm) in diameter. The guard shall extend not less than 30 inches (762 mm) beyond each end of such appliance, equipment, fan or component.

New construction HVAC equipment is within 7 feet of a lower level roof. The distance between the two different roof surfaces is 28 inches. However the 8 inch wide by 12 inch high parapet that separates the two levels is the question the Architect has.

He states the 30 inches is measured from roof surface to roof surface because that is the distance a person will fall.

That's logical but I am not sure that is the intent of the code. The 12 inch parapet could be viewed as a tripping hazard but the mechanical code only requires a 30" X 30" level working surface so it is outside of the required clearances. In reality there are all kinds of tripping hazards on a roof.

Where would you measure the distance from?

1. Surface to surface?

2. Top of the parapet to the lower roof surface?

That is a toughy........I would say becuase of the wording "edge or open side is located more than 30 inches (762 mm) above the floor, roof or grade"...the parapet would apply.....not necessarily the walking surface elevation....

+ ~ +

I would measure the distance as "from roof surface to roof surface" as

well..........While this may not be the intent, it is the "letter" of the code!

Also, from the `06 IBC, Section 101.3 - Intent:

"The purpose of this code is to establish the minimum requirements to

safeguard the public health, safety and general welfare through structural

strength, means of egress facilities, stability, sanitation, adequate light

and ventilation, energy conservation, and safety to life and property from

fire and other hazards attributed to the built environment and to provide

safety to fire fighters and emergency responders during emergency

operations."

Service Repair personnel are not the public!......They are willingly

taking on a "much higher than normal" risk when going onto elevated

surfaces.

I would say, ...no guard required!

~ + ~

I would agree no railing required, but depending on access location to the roof the parapet could require a ladder between levels.

IMC 306.5

beautiful

Guard%20Rail%20For%20Roof%20Fan.jpg

I would go roof to roof measurement myself One would think that the professionals working on the equipment would be aware of the various elevations of the roof.........

fatboy said:
I would go roof to roof measurement myself One would think that the professionals working on the equipment would be aware of the various elevations of the roof.........
You're giving them a lot of credit, calling them "professionals" many times they are far from that!

mtlogcabin said:
The guard shall be constructed so as to prevent the passage of a sphere 21 inches (533 mm) in diameter.
Ya gotta wonder where some of these numbers came from.

Builder Bob said:
IF the unit does not have an access panel towards the edge of the roof, why would you place a guard there?
You would still need a safe approach and egress around the equipment to install and service.

mark handler said:
beautiful
Guard%20Rail%20For%20Roof%20Fan.jpg
The exhaust fan even appears to have a hinge kit on the fan. But, is there enough clearance to tip the fan, or will the fan keep closing?

Most resturants do not have safe access to fans.

north star said:
+ ~ +Service Repair personnel are not the public!......They are willingly

taking on a "much higher than normal" risk when going onto elevated

surfaces.

I would say, ...no guard required!

~ + ~

[/size]
While I agree no rail in this sitiuation meets the letter if not the intent of the code, safety rails by rooftop equipment are there primarily to protect service personnel. Section 101.3 of the IMC specifically includes maintenance safety as a reason for codes, and rails and service platforms are in the IMC/IFGC sections for access and service. The general public will rarely, if ever, be on a roof where a rail specifically placed by a unit would be an issue for them. Service techs are often working on these units in rain, snow, ice, or dark. They may have to jumper safety controls on the unit to do diagnostics. Having a malfunction on a 220 or 460 volt unit could literally throw the tech away from the unit. That is the primary purpose for safety rails.

I'm mixed regarding requiring the safety rails primarily due to the fact that in this state there are other regulations that I am not responsible for that are aimed at the safety of the employees working on or around equipment that is elevated or on rooftops. While I like the idea of the guard being in place requiring them is the issue. Occupational safety rules put out by the state would require the person up there to be "tied off" so maybe the item to require would be a permanent anchoring point within reach of the platform to accommodate this? Just some more food for thought.

ZIG

While yoou can't enforce rules you're not responsible for, you have an obligation to enforce those that you are. Unless the seciton regarding rails has been amended out locally, they are still legally required. If someone fell off a roof where code required a rail but you passed the installaiton without one, there coulld be legal issues for you. CYA!

klarenbeek said:
While I agree no rail in this sitiuation meets the letter if not the intent of the code, safety rails by rooftop equipment are there primarily to protect service personnel. Section 101.3 of the IMC specifically includes maintenance safety as a reason for codes, and rails and service platforms are in the IMC/IFGC sections for access and service. The general public will rarely, if ever, be on a roof where a rail specifically placed by a unit would be an issue for them. Service techs are often working on these units in rain, snow, ice, or dark. They may have to jumper safety controls on the unit to do diagnostics. Having a malfunction on a 220 or 460 volt unit could literally throw the tech away from the unit. That is the primary purpose for safety rails.
I would agree that this is the sole intent.

Thanks everyone for the feedback

I think I will let this one go because the equipment in question are 3 small roof top exhaust fans, 12 x 12 curb size, basically an electric motor, belt and 2 pullies that may need to be serviced at some point, Both roofs are flat and the college maintenance staff will be performing any repairs when needed.

FVCCrooffans_zpsa3885f72.jpg