• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

1014.2 Exit Access

Codegeek said:
Does the attachment qualify as an exception for a Group M occupancy exiting through a stockroom?View attachment 1009
There is not enough information included with the drawing to determine if the exceptions to 1014.2 are met. The general arrangement is satisfactory, if all of the exceptions are met.

If you're talking about the pass-thru in the demarcation walls, I have approved those. They need to be able to get stock from one area to the other. When they have those breaks in the exit path, I have them mark the exit path clearly with "NO STORAGE".

They meet the first three exceptions. My concern was whether or not the openings within the walls serving the storage areas comply with the "aisle defined by full- or partial-height fixed walls". I can see it complying with the requirement, but I can see how some may not see it as complying unless there are doors blocking access to the storage areas.

What about the dual acting doors?

Codegeek said:
They meet the first three exceptions. My concern was whether or not the openings within the walls serving the storage areas comply with the "aisle defined by full- or partial-height fixed walls". I can see it complying with the requirement, but I can see how some may not see it as complying unless there are doors blocking access to the storage areas. What about the dual acting doors?
I was also wondering about the double-acting doors, but I can't find in the code where it's not permitted. 1008.1.4 Special Doors...makes no mention of them.

Doors are ok, as long as they are separated from the rear exit door per 1008.1.7. The doors either swing in the same direction (if the double acting doors are towards the exit), or swing away from the space between the doors.

I'm ok with the definition of the aisle by the walls.

Rooster

Some reason it was not put in the code

Only says have to be side hinged, which they make double swing side hinged in dome cases