• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

110.14 (c) 08 nec

BSSTG

Gold Member
Greetings all,

When I passed my Houston and Pasadena masters tests 20 some odd years ago I said I wasn't ever going to test in the NEC again. Killed too many brain cells.

Well, times change.

I'm trying to figure out the meaning of the last sentence in the referenced section. 110.14©

"Conductors with temperature ratings higher than specified for terminations shall be permitted to be used for ampacity adjustment, correction, or both."

So, if a THHN conductor (rating 90 degree C) is being used in conjuntion with a 60 degree C terminal, may the ampacity from the 90 degree C colum be used to derate for excessive temperature or # of current carrying conductors over 3? Or, is this just a redundant statement and it allows me to use a conductor temperature with a higher temperature rating but utlilizing the ampacity of the colum that corresponds to the terminal temp rating?

Thanks

BS

You are permitted to use the 90 degree ampacity for derating of conductors provided that the adjusted ampacity does not exceed the ampacity listed for the temperature of the terminals the conductors are connected too.

Chris