• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

1109 - Mercantile Bathing Facility

Francis Vineyard said:
2006 IBC, M use group, one bathroom with shower, does the shower need to be accessible?
Per ADA, Yes, if it is to be used by customers or employees.

Thanks, it reads plainly that it's required but what is happening is an all or nothing situation.

Merchants are inclined not to install the bathing facility because of the additional expense to make it accessible. I'm questioning this because it’s not a required fixture.

Just because it’s not a required fixture, does not mean anything.

ADA, a civil rights law, says equal access; If provided for some, Shall be accessible, to all.

I agree with Mark.

Why do you have a shower in an M occupancy? (just curious)

Peach I don’t know why they would have a shower, but I can speculate from my observations. The store does sales and service for wood burning appliances; they might get sooty during the day.

Another belongs to an architect also makes his own furniture in his spare time.

I know some places encourage employees to ride bicycles, walk or run to work and during lunch provide showers.

Here in PA inspectors don't enforce ADA because it is not a code. But we have ANSI A117.7 and that makes the shower accessible unless it is for a privet office.