• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

1208.1 Min. room widths.

rktect 1

Gold Member
I did quite a bit of searching on that other site for information regarding section 1208.1 and min. room widths. I believe that the concensus, overall, was that this is more a requirement for residential, not commercial. Is that a 78.3% correct statement? I ask because I have a new office tenant finish out which is showing a DR's office that measures 6'x8'. Not only wouldn't it make it for section 1208.1 but also 1208.3. Habitable space? Doesn't look like it. It would have helped me if in the code commentary it listed office or commercial space as not being included in this.

Any thoughts? As of right now I am excluding offices/commercial from the 7 foot min room width. Excluding spaces such as patient rooms etc used as habitable spaces.

Re: 1208.1 Min. room widths.

HABITABLE SPACE. A space in a building for living, sleeping, eating or cooking. Bathrooms, toilet rooms, closets, halls, storage or utility spaces and similar areas are not considered habitable spaces.

Not 'Habitable'

OCCUPIABLE SPACE. A room or enclosed space designed for human occupancy in which individuals congregate for amusement, educational or similar purposes or in which occupants are engaged at labor, and which is equipped with means of egress and light and ventilation facilities meeting the requirements of this code.

Interesting question. The code language does not limit its application only to dwelling units. The UBC did not address it and the 1999 BOCA limited the minimums to dwelling units. JD, you solved the question?

rktect 1 said:
I did quite a bit of searching on that other site for information regarding section 1208.1 and min. room widths. I believe that the concensus, overall, was that this is more a requirement for residential, not commercial. Is that a 78.3% correct statement? I ask because I have a new office tenant finish out which is showing a DR's office that measures 6'x8'. Not only wouldn't it make it for section 1208.1 but also 1208.3. Habitable space? Doesn't look like it. It would have helped me if in the code commentary it listed office or commercial space as not being included in this.Any thoughts? As of right now I am excluding offices/commercial from the 7 foot min room width. Excluding spaces such as patient rooms etc used as habitable spaces.
Too many questions:

1. I believe that the concensus, overall, was that this is more a requirement for residential, not commercial. Yes.

2. As of right now I am excluding offices/commercial from the 7 foot min room width. Yes.

3. Excluding spaces such as patient rooms etc used as habitable spaces. Yes.

4. Any thoughts? Yes, just not code related. :mrgreen:

rktect 1 said:
I did quite a bit of searching on that other site for information regarding section 1208.1 and min. room widths. I believe that the concensus, overall, was that this is more a requirement for residential, not commercial. Is that a 78.3% correct statement? I ask because I have a new office tenant finish out which is showing a DR's office that measures 6'x8'. Not only wouldn't it make it for section 1208.1 but also 1208.3. Habitable space? Doesn't look like it. It would have helped me if in the code commentary it listed office or commercial space as not being included in this.Any thoughts? As of right now I am excluding offices/commercial from the 7 foot min room width. Excluding spaces such as patient rooms etc used as habitable spaces.
6' x 8'?

That's a senior administrator's office in a hospital...or an open plan office for six graduate assistants in the english department.

brudgers said:
rktect 1 said:
6' x 8'?

That's a senior administrator's office in a hospital...or an open plan office for six graduate assistants in the english department.

Uh... :shock: Should I tell you I'm sitting in a 12'x14' room right now? No windows but mighty comfy, space wise.

The commentary reads this way. "This room dimension provision specifies the minimum horizontal dimensions required for all habitable rooms. Any room that functions as a living room, bedroom, dining room or any other similar habitable room must be sized such that a cylinder with a diameter of 7' may be placed in it. Only kitchens are exempt from this requirement. This code provision allows the circulation of ventilation air through the space while maintaining resonably sized living quarters for the occupants."

Sure sounds like it applies to residences only.