• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

15 amp vs. 20 amp GFCI receptacle...

cprodge

Residential...
I am allowed to install 15 amp standard receptacles in a 20 amp circuit. Does the same go for GFCI receptacles? In other words, may I use a 15 amp GFCI receptacle in a 20 amp circuit (bathroom)?

See what the sparky's say, but I would allow it, the circuit is protected UP to 20 amps. I've seen the GFI recepts that are dual-rated, 15/20, can't say when.

Residential...
I am allowed to install 15 amp standard receptacles in a 20 amp circuit. Does the same go for GFCI receptacles? In other words, may I use a 15 amp GFCI receptacle in a 20 amp circuit (bathroom)?
yes provided it is tamper resistant and not the only outlet on circuit 210.2 (b) (1)

210.21(B)(1)
(B) Receptacles.
(1) Single Receptacle on an Individual Branch Circuit. A single receptacle installed on an individual branch circuit shall have an ampere rating not less than that of the branch circuit.

(3) Receptacle Ratings. Where connected to a branch circuit supplying two or more receptacles or oudets, receptacle ratings shall conform to the values listed in Table 210.21(B)(3), or,where rated higher than 50 amperes, the receptacle rating shall not be less than the branch-circuit rating.
Screen Shot 2023-07-22 at 5.25.34 AM.png