• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

16' Garage Door Header

mac_will

Hello everyone,

I have a couple questions about a garage door header. I note that I've read the forum exchange here: https://www.thebuildingcodeforum.com/forum/threads/16-garage-door-headers.564/

I am building a detached 22' x 30' garage with "attic trusses" for an attic storage space, a 12:12 roof, 2x6 walls and a 16' garage door on the gable end (which is the 22' side). The garage is located in eastern Ontario Canada (i.e. large snow loads, but not earth quake country).

My question is simply what is required (min code) / recommend (perhaps above code, but within reason budget wise, etc.) for the header above the 16' garage door? (Or what would be recommended/required in the Northern U.S.?)

I've received various opinions (none from engineers, but some from experienced builders) ranging from "no header is required on the gable end", to dimensional lumber laminated ("glued and screwed") together to form a 17' beam ( with no lumber longer than 16', for example 3 thick 2"x12"x 16' + 2"x12"x 8'), to you can use dimensional lumber but you need 2"x12"x20' 3-thick, to you definitely need an LVL or similar (and even here, one guy said you only need a single LVL, while his friend right beside him said you should have two LVLs).

I would appreciate any info on this topic. Thank you in advance.

Mac W.

This thread is fourteen pages long with 278 replies. Your question was answered several times in different ways. Of course that was thirteen years ago and many of the players have moved on.

Last edited:
Although this may be overkill for you, there is a Canadian version of WoodWorks which has a 10-day trial for their sizing software (here). It is probably easier and cheaper to consult with a structural engineer for half and hour to an hour and get all of your questions answered.