• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

1920's church and lost occupancy permit question

ggmarch

hi all, i'm at the end of a rope here and was hoping for some advice on how to help my mother's church.

here's the scene. 1920's church in PA added a classroom wing in the early '64 by a large greater pittsburgh

architectural firm which has since been dissolved. i have "some" of the original drawings that they

saved and quite a nice level of detail for the age. anyhow, the church has

maintained their building very well considering the age and now they would like to start using a few of the

existing classrooms for a daycare facility run by the church. years ago, a third party ran a daycare out of the

church but left to their own facility. So, it's pretty simple though, PA requires any new daycare facility these days

to provide them with a copy of the existing building's occupancy permit.......... here's where it gets interesting.

the drawings i have are not provided with the cover where typically the Department of Labor and Industry stamped/approved

and issued the occupancy permit number. so, I went to the local archives and found no record, I went to the

state and found no record, I called our congressman to send his hounds to do some research and they found no record

of this building in the plans, on their computer backups, or in the microfilms. Nothing, and i mean not just the 60's

classroom addition, but also the entire church building does not exist in their records. the plot thickens!

the local building official will not accept the original drawings without the original occupancy permit. he's calling the

building an "uncertified structure" and requiring "new" drawings with an architect's seal making it an acceptable submission(per code).

he's provided me copies of the code, in particular, Chapter 13 of 2009 IEBC for "performance compliance" to determine

if the building is up to code (or 3412 IBC). i've read it multiple times. this allows the building to comply per 105 Compliance

method, andby reference(from the CO) 105.3 Performance Compliance section.....links to chapter 13

my reading of Ch 13 brings up this, a conflict between CH13's Change of Occupancy "classification" and reading CH9's definition and distinction

between (Change of Occupancy without a change in occupancy "classification and just plain old change of occupancy classification).....since I am

in the former category, i would stop and determine i'm in compliance determined by sections 1301.2 Applicability(and no further) and 901 through 911

as Chapter 901.2 states, a Change of Occupancy without a change in occupancy "classification?"........this to me makes the performance

of requirements of chapter 1301.2.1 and beyond above and beyond the intent of the IEBC where no change in occupancy "classification" happens.

Chapter 901-911 are, in my opinion, N/A to this project and most of all, extrememly difficult to show on a set of drawings without just

regurgitating line of code text and stating the obvious N/A there(totaly could be done in a letter, tried it, denied). he comes the next wrinkle.....

the Code officer is again requiring a set of drawings as this is still a code submission. "ya know, it's the code," well here i am knowing full well that

the only thing they want is a signed sealed set of drawing that show absolutely nothing is changing and as far as i can tell, nothing is required.

sound familiar? so this is rubbing me the wrong way for some reason so i called the Department of State legal representative to ask if," drawing

and signing and sealing a set of drawings for an existing building that i did not have first hand involvement in the design and production

of the original building..... and where no changes are to be made. I asked, would this be illegal, because it sounds questionable. his response,

"yes according to the licensure law section 12 "Seal of an Architect"..... he continued by making things worse by stating, "your seal on a drawing

represents your responsibility for all the drawing represents," and ," reflects all codes and code issues (at that date of seal/signing)and

assumes thorough and complete review and approval of all aspects of the area of the building being sealed.".............. now that's a doosie!

the head of the legal team at the Department of State is saying that it's illegal under penalty of losing my license for me to draft/sign/seal

a set of existing conditions drawings that shows no changes that i can determine to an existing building that is changing nothing, though i

have a Code Official demanding that i do something according to code that violates this licensure law.

anyone experience'd this? is the term " uncertified structure" creating this even though the CO has walked through the space and

knows and accepts the existing occupancy is E and the new occupancy is E? can the CO accept this in a letter in your opinions?(i feel it's a no brainer),

if the code differentiates between "change of occupancy without change of occupancy classification" and "change of occupancy with change

of classification" and these two are of different levels of importance, am i reading it right that i'm in the lesser of the two?

and if so, can the CO wave the drawing requirement? (if he doesn't, he's gonna get a drawing that everyone hates which states existing

on everything, and no work done, no change and essentially no detail....etc. except i the architect am accepting all responsibility/liability of this existing

building full on knowing i'm breaking the law in doing so)

is the code official being a bit over the top, i see his ability to just issue the occupancy permit since the code copies he has supplied me basically

eliminate my necessity of being involved in this NON-project in the first place....am i so wrong?

but my super big question is.....now that the local CO knows, and the Township knows, and the state knows the following......"this building is being occupied without

a certificate of occupancy, why haven't they shut down the Church all together?" sure sounds like the building officials are willing to wave the law when they want to.

sorry for being so winded, but i feel like a dog chasing his tail.

thanks in advance

ggmarch

So did the town issue c of o's in 1920???

What is wrong with the towns record keeping skills?? Especially 1960's on.

Does any other state agency regulate day cares? If so see if they have records of the prior day care

I have not, however, i have not heard of that office holding that type of information. FYI, our last local assessment was in 1980

so you may glean from that, that the importance of official anything around here has been kind of lax. i'll check though!

ggmarch

cda, it was not the town's responsibility at the time(1960's) it was the state. only now with the new code do they hold that info. back then, the state converted

drawings to micro film(sorta) until the computer age came along and they stated converting things from micro film to digital but along the way, they quit or ran

out of money or just couldn't keep up with the new buildings being submitted, the old one fell by the way side. the state was getting sued left and right so they

decided to get out of business of reviewing building plans and the forced the local municipalities to do it for themselves and if they couldn't afford it, the state,

would review at a much more reduced capacity. anyhow, the state's records have holes you could drive a fleet of mac trucks through......my guess is 25% of all

buildings in the area are running without occupancy permits, and that's conservative....the owners have lost them and the state doesn't care about them....plus, what

a great excuse to force property owners to upgrade their buildings. though i personally have seen people get so frustrated they just leave em vacant to rot. oh well,

good intentions don't always pan out

This I what PA-UCC says (the law of the land, takes the place of IRC chapter 1):

§ 403.28. Uncertified buildings.

(a) Under section 902(b)(6) of the act (35 P. S. § 7210.902(b)(6)), an uncertified building that was built before April 27, 1927, is deemed to be legally occupied until the owner proposes to renovate, add an addition, alter or change the occupancy of the building. The renovation, addition, alteration or change in occupancy must comply with the Uniform Construction Code.

(b) I skipped this because it is only if the astate is doing the inspection.

© The following apply to uncertified buildings where the Department does not have jurisdiction and which are not governed under subsection (a):

(1) A construction code official shall issue a certificate of occupancy to an uncertified building if it meets the requirements of the latest version of the "International Existing Building Code" or Chapter 34 of the "International Building Code." The construction code official shall utilize the code for the municipality which best applies, in the official's professional judgment.

(2) A construction code official may deny the issuance of a certificate of occupancy if the official deems that a building is unsafe because of inadequate means of egress, inadequate lighting and ventilation, fire hazards or other dangers to human life or to public welfare.

(3) A municipality governed under this subsection may utilize the standards of subsection (b) for the issuance of certificates of occupancy to uncertified buildings if the municipality adopts an ordinance

It can't be a change of occupancy because it has no occupancy if there is no certificate of occupancy.

I hope this helps

Does not PA have some way of reissuing lost COs?

In Virginia there are provisions for reissuing a CO after a maintenance inspect when needed for regulatory cases like this.

Most of our building records were lost to floods in the 1970s and many structures in the county predate there being such a thing as building codes--once got records request for all plans inspections etc of a building that was rebuilt in 1865 after the Yankees burned the old one down--only records we could find was the writing on the wall in the closet under the steps of the building. We did not issue COs for CO for buildings constructed between 1611 and 1973-4

2012 VA Construction Code

"116.4 Issuance of certificate for pre-USBC buildings or structures. When a building or structure was constructed prior to being subject to the initial edition of the USBC and the local building department does not have a certificate of occupancy for the building or structure, the owner or own-er’s agent may submit a written request for a certificate to be created. The building official, after receipt of the re-quest, shall issue a certificate provided a determination is made that there are no current violations of the VMC or the Virginia Statewide Fire Prevention Code (13VAC5-51) and the occupancy classification of the building or structure has not changed. Such buildings and structures shall not be prevented from continued use.

Exception: When no certificate exists, but the local building department has records indicating that a certificate did exist, then the building official may either verify in writing that a certificate did exist or issue a certificate based upon the records."

Thanks rick....the circle seems to hinge on the CO requiring me to provide drawings to eliminate what you posted in (2) and determine for him that the building is "safe" yet it leaves me in a position to break a law and draw/sign/seal a set if existing conditions drawings. The CO has demanded the C of O and the avenue to achieve it through ch.13. My reading of it seems to require no work/no alteration.....its a catch 22.

Thanks frank....there is no process in PA for re-issuing of the C of O other than going through the archives(its the ways weve done it here for years) or the third party review agency which only asks for the original or get a new one and back to square one

Send me 50 bucks. I'll make you a C of O. :grin:

Seriously though, can you review the plans for egress only and stamp them with a nice note saying that you certify the drawings to comply with 2009 egress requirements?

Or provide a supplemental plan for egress purposes only?