• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

1976 SSBC

Mango

Does anyone have access to a 1976 Standard Building Code? I specifically need to know what wind load requirements were in effect for signs in the southern region of Texas. The Texas Department of Transportaion is acquiring ROW and a particular sign owner wants additional money from TXDOT for his sign because he claims there were no wind load requirements when the sign was erected and to replace the sign will cost more to meet current windload. I am trying to help TXDOT on this one. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Mango

Re: 1976 SSBC

I don't have a copy of the 1976 SSBC, but I remember designing some apartments under the SSBC around that time, and having to do some wind uplift calculations.

The model codes at that time used "fastest mile" wind speeds, instead of the 3-second gust in the IBC. 3-second gust windspeeds are usually 30% faster than fastest mile. I think the calculations used a uniform force over the whole surface, without increases at the edges & corners.

A new sign will probably require a lot more calculation, but not a great deal more material.

Re: 1976 SSBC

have you checked some of the local BIG cities around that areae to see if they used 1976 SSBC??? if they did they shouuld have a copy