• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

1997 Uniform building code

michaelj

I am look for a copy of the 1997 uniform building code section 708.3.1.2.2. And another question was this UBC or ICC I have the 1994 UBC and the next year I have is the 2000 IBC does anyone know if it would have been UBC or IBC. Georgia adoption history I have shows 1994 and 2000 as adopted codes just does not specify witch model.

A lot of Southern states used the Southern Building Code before the ICC came about. Your building official might have a copy.

The 1997 edition was the UBC. The first published edition of the IBC was in 2000.

1997 UBC Section 708.3.1.2.2 was titled "Other uses" and includes requirements for attics in buildings other than dwellings and hotels.

"708.3.1.2.2 Other uses. Draft stops shall be installed in attics, mansards, overhangs, false fronts set out from walls and similar concealed spaces of buildings having uses other than dwellings or hotels so that the area between draft stops does not exceed 3,000 square feet (279 m2) and the greatest horizontal dimension does not exceed 60 feet (18 288 mm).​

"EXCEPTION: Where approved automatic sprinklers are installed, the area between draft stops may be 9,000 square feet (836 m2) and the greatest horizontal dimension may be 100 feet (30 480 mm)."​

A lot of Southern states used the Southern Building Code before the ICC came about. Your building official might have a copy.
Actually, it was called the Standard Building Code, and there was a 1997 edition. ICC does sell a PDF version. That probably what was used in Georgia, but according to their adoption history, they did not adopt the 1997 SBC.

I had a couple of projects in Atlanta, Georgia, in the 1990s. They were using 1994 Standard Building Code for most of it. Occupancy classification, means of egress, vertical openings, fire alarm, sprinkler systems, and smoke detection all followed Life Safety Code (NFPA 101).

I have a copy of the 1994 Standard Building Code by SBCCI, but not the 97. Let me know if you need some info from it.