• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

2 hour rating for FA systems

mshields

Silver Member
I know that the backbone interconnecting FACP and transponders and/or terminal box's needs to be 2 hour rated but someone is telling me that the wiring out to the first device in a loop needs to be 2 hour rated. Is that true? Does it matter if this is a high rise or a low rise? In the instance that it came up, it happens to be a low rise. But I'm interested in both.

Thanks,

Mike

Do not see it in the 2003 ifc, unless local ordinance

Are you under the international codes?

Have not heard the two hour rating for low rise, possibly in the newer codes?

Ok look at 12.4 nfpa 72 2010 edition may also be in early editions

Still does not appear it is required in your situation, unless a local thing

Last edited by a moderator:
IMHO..........Cda and Cheyer are in the right ballpark. I recall an old test question associated to wiring protection and it having to do with one of the Articles in NFPA 70 for protection of the circuit and pathway. Maybe one of the electrical guru's can chime in.