• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

2 hr wall, limiting heights?

ovdrywall

Hi guys, I'm looking for a table that shows the limiting heights for 2 hr fire rated wall, this is a interior partition, composite, 34' 8" avg. height, non-braced, with 2 layers of 5/8" type X fire code gypsum board on each side of the wall.

I found that 600S125-43 (33KSI) studs @ 16"OC, will meet the required height for 1hr assembly UL-419, which states that 1 layer of 5/8" gyp board on each side shall be used to meet rating.

I'm assuming that using and additional layer of gyp. on each side will make the structure stronger and the limiting height even higher, but I can't find any table of limiting heights for this type of wall that prove I'm correct of definitely wrong.

Does anyone here have build a similar wall, or know where I can find more information regarding the metal members I need to use to comply?

for your time, thanks in advance !

Oscar

Welcome

What are you using the two hour wall for?

How high are you trying to go?

How did you find us?

what state are you in??

Last edited by a moderator:
Refer to ASTM C 754. It includes a table that indicates the maximum height for a metal stud wall based on stud spacing, applied lateral load (5 psf is code minimum, but the table goes up to 10 psf), and depth of stud. The minimum base metal thickness of studs used for the table is 0.0179 in., which is the minimum specified for many of the tested wall assemblies. Although the table states that it is based on a single layer of 1/2-inch gypsum board on each side, installed vertically, the table's footnotes indicate that the maximum heights in the standard are applicable regardless of gypsum board thickness or number of layers. The footnotes also state that the table is based on acceptance criteria published by ICC-ES.

Phil, good point. The tables go up to 33'-9", which is 11" short of what is required.