• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

(2) residential tenants and (1) Business tenant - Sprinklered?

Yes, per Section 903.2.8. If the building contains a Group R fire area, then the building must be sprinklered "throughout," which means all areas of the building, including those not classified as Group R.

Wow, does that apply to all occupancies or just mixed-used occupancies that contain Group (R)?

I guess I was under the impression that if you used the appropriate fire separation, per 508.4.1, between occupancies that require sprinklers and those occupancies that don't, that you could forgo sprinklering those occupant areas that are not required.

Thanks Ron. For my own edification, could you kindly point me to the section of the code that outlines that?

Below are based on the 2009 IBC per your references:
Group R - Section 903.2.8
Group I - Section 903.2.6
Group H-5 - Section 903.2.5.2

Each of these contain phrases that state a sprinkler system shall be installed or provide throughout a building containing or with a fire area of that occupancy group. This means that whether or not the building uses separated occupancies or fire barriers are used to create smaller fire areas, if the building includes that occupancy fire area then it must be sprinklered throughout the entire building. Fire walls are a different matter, since they create separate buildings, so if you can separate the restrictive fire area from the rest of the structure with a fire wall, then only the side with the restrictive fire area is required to be sprinklered.

How do you account for 903.1.3 (R-3 single family dwelling) above the business occupancy in accordance with 903.2.8?
FV, I don't understand the question. (1) That is not in the 2009 IBC, and (2) per that requirement (2012 IBC and later) it still requires a sprinkler system, but allows a NFPA 13D in the Group R, but would require a NFPA 13 system for the rest of the building as described in the Explanatory Material of NFPA 13D.

Ron, 903.1.3 is a typo should be 903.3.1.3.
To reiterate the dwelling is protected with 13D and the rest of the building with NFPA 13 (to satisfy "throughout buildings") with no height and area increase or fire separation reductions?

FV, that would be correct. Since height and area increases require NFPA 13 throughout, sprinklering with NFPA 13D for the dwelling units would not allow these increases. Also, corridor fire ratings and dwelling unit separations could not be reduced to the 1/2-hour rating if the building includes a NFPA 13D system.

Ron, 903.1.3 is a typo should be 903.3.1.3.
To reiterate the dwelling is protected with 13D and the rest of the building with NFPA 13 (to satisfy "throughout buildings") with no height and area increase or fire separation reductions?

You might look at the scope of 13d may not allow it in the building set up

You might look at the scope of 13d may not allow it in the building set up
The Explanatory Material in Annex A of NFPA 13D does state that where other portions of the building are required to be sprinklered, they should be installed per NFPA 13 or 13R. Therefore, a mix is permitted.

The Explanatory Material in Annex A of NFPA 13D does state that where other portions of the building are required to be sprinklered, they should be installed per NFPA 13 or 13R. Therefore, a mix is permitted.

Interesting

Thank you

Not sure what a set of those plans would look like.

Ryan....You really have to look out for words like "throughout the building" or "throughout the fire area"....Makes a big difference...