• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

2 story classification

sergoodo

Classifying the decking for mech equipment and storage in the attic as a 2nd floor and adding to building area.

Use IBC302 . 3 . 1 nonseparated B-S not IBC413 . 2 attic protection for storage?

717 . 4 Attic Draftstopping not applicable for a 2nd floor?

IBC 2003.

Re: 2 story classification

The mechanical equipment deck must be designed as a floor.

Not enough information to tell if it is a story. Attics usually are not stories.

usually....and especially when there is no occupancy...this just smells like a 2nd floor and jumping all over that. Logically its an attic.

Is there anything authoritative written regarding this for commercial. Residential has beaten this dead horse. I thought 413.2 and access per 1209.2 were, obviously not, cause this additional floor has wings.

Sergoodo-

Not exactly clear what you are asking, But I think you want to use attic space for storage.

Designating the attic an S use and calling it a story seems fine to me as long as it meets all other applicable requirements of this code. Otherwise it is an attic and is required to have draftstops, and seperation or sprinklers if used for storage of combustibles.