• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

2 story volume spaces

sunyaer

I saw "2 story volume spaces" in architectural notes for houses. What does "2 story volume spaces" refer to in a house construction?

I saw "2 story volume spaces" in architectural notes for houses. What does "2 story volume spaces" refer to in a house construction?
In the context of Canadian or other building codes, the term "2-story volume spaces" generally refers to areas within a house where the ceiling is at the height of the second floor, rather than having a separate ceiling for the first floor. This creates a single, tall space that spans the height of two stories.

The concern from a code perspective with these spaces is that they tend to have a "tall wall", which means that the maximum stud height is exceeded and needs to be designed by a structural engineer.

The concern from a code perspective with these spaces is that they tend to have a "tall wall", which means that the maximum stud height is exceeded and needs to be designed by a structural engineer.
This.

I can't tell you how many times one of our inspectors has caught this type of assembly coming in a plan. Heck, we've even had engineer-designed plans that had tall walls - sans engineering approval. (SMH)

That said, I do wish NBC would include some tall wall designs - at least something that gives 14' height or something. Around here, we have a lot of plans for tall-wall storage buildings (farming equipment, fishing gear.)