• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

2 Surveys in 2 Days RE: CalGreen

Alias

Well, there have been two surveys in two days on the CA building dept. list. I filled out both and gave them honest answers. It had to do with 'how did you implement the CalGreen code, what are the challenges, etc.'

I will probably be in a heap of trouble but, I told the truth. I let them know that it is virtually impossible for me to enforce a code when I have no budget to get the training, tools, local special inspectors, local agency partners, etc. needed to enforce the code.

I am tired of the late great state of Kalifornia requiring enforcement on codes that don't fit my rural jurisdiction and that I can't enforce. One size does not fit all.

Rant over, I feel better now. I will now return you to your regularly scheduled programming. :inspctr

hi sue,

so i guess that means you are not getting cheers and hers verification documentation on all the hvac changeout permits you have issued in the past few years? :mrgreen:

pwood said:
hi sue,so i guess that means you are not getting cheers and hers verification documentation on all the hvac changeout permits you have issued in the past few years? :mrgreen:
cheers, hers.......HVAc.......? What are those? :mrgreen:

Alias said:
cheers, hers.......HVAc.......? What are those? :mrgreen:
think glorified and over-rated woodstove and 3 speed rotating floor fan and you would be in the ballpark:mrgreen:

Watch out Sue, next they are going to be surveying you as to how you are implementing the Fire Sprinkler and ADA codes, combine the totalitarian Green Codes, Fire Sprinkler Codes, and ADA Codes in the State of Jefferson and you'll have the natives attacking you with burning torches and pitch forks.

conarb said:
Watch out Sue, next they are going to be surveying you as to how you are implementing the Fire Sprinkler and ADA codes, combine the totalitarian Green Codes, Fire Sprinkler Codes, and ADA Codes in the State of Jefferson and you'll have the natives attacking you with burning torches and pitch forks.
I don't have to worry about implementing these wonderful codes (tongue firmly planted in cheek), Kalifornia has killed the building industry as we knew it. No new stick built homes in quite awhile. These have been replaced by MUs which are state regulated. Or happy homeowner recycling the family manse. *sigh*

David Henderson said:
Sue, Cal green only required new construction, not additions or remodels yet.
Yep, thank goodness. I tell colleagues that we have been doing CalGreen here for years - everyone recycles their home. I have had several homes here where the owner has taken it down to the studs and rebuilt from the inside out. Very nice looking from the outside, up-to-date on the inside.

Pcinspector1 said:
Sue, why did you give them your address? I hate junk mail!pc1
LOL! I hate junk mail too!

I am on a listserve and two different surveys in two days came through on that. One was from another jurisdiction, one from the state. I didn't have to respond, just felt that after sprinklers, CASp, Title 24, septic tanks, etc., etc., etc., I couldn't stand one more mandate from the state that I have no way to enforce and not vocalize my objections to same.

I feel better now, thanks.