• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

20 min. doors R309.1

Opening protectives are assemblies - that includes not only the door and frame but the hardware as well.

Remember, the Codes have 'prescriptive' provisions (like the door sections quoted above) AND allow for engineered design as well (like rated assemblies).

Personally, I have always lived and worked in NYS. Our Code has required a minimum 45 minute separation between house and garage for a very long time.

Thanks JBI,

I guess the essence of my question is: Do the words "20-Minute Fire Rated Door" automatically require a rated frame? You seem to believe they do.

I'm aware that only assemblies are rated, but in light of the acceptance of a 1 3/8" solid wood door and a 1 3/8" steel door, neither of which are rated at all, it seems that a rated slab would have to be an improvement over a non-rated one.

Case in point a 1 3/4" nominal thickness molded fiberboard door, six panel slab that bears a twenty minute tag. All such doors have portions of the door that are not 1 3/8" thick but have still passed the twenty minute test, less the hose test. If a customer wishes to have door between the garage and the residence replaced with a panel door, should that customer be forced to replace the door frame as well as the slab, just because he/she chose the twenty minute slab over the non-rated alternatives?

TIA

Bill

In reply to the OP, if the municipality requires a 1-3/4" door and ommitted the minute rating from the code, my question would be.. why does the rating of the door matter.

If a 1-3/4" door is provided (wood, metal, paper, plastic), it would comply with local ordinance. I think that until the municipality amends the ordinance to actually make sense... you are stuck with what they wrote.

B-label on a garage door.. Approved.. next. :)

Tim

I was fart'n around and scraped the three layers of paint off the fired rated door in my office, It's a (B) door 1-1/2 HR on a steel frame, old post office building with the breaker box in the coat closet and no windows.

rktec 1, Did you omit the door closer? Do you need a heavy duty type closer now?

Just toot'n my horn!

Pc1

I guess the essence of my question is: Do the words "20-Minute Fire Rated Door" automatically require a rated frame? You seem to believe they do.
I don't think it would require a rated frame for a 20 min. door between a single fam. res. and a garage..........at least I wouldn't require one.

KZQuixote: I guess the essence of my question is: Do the words "20-Minute Fire Rated Door" automatically require a rated frame? You seem to believe they do.
Typically, a 20-minute door would require a fire-rated frame, as well as latching hardware, a door closer, steel ball-bearing hinges (or listed hinges of another type), and possibly smoke seal. As the rating of the door goes up the door construction may change, particularly for wood doors. The frame is often just indicated as labeled, without being designated for a certain number of minutes, which means that it can be used for up to a 3-hour rated opening. Sidelite and transom frames will be labeled for a specific number of minutes, because they can't be used for a 3-hour opening.

With all of that said, the residential code allows a 20-minute door OR one of the other options. In my opinion, a rated frame would not be required and the section specifically states that closers aren't required. I would take it at face value - a solid wood door or a steel door or a 20-minute door, period.

If I remember correctly, the CABO code originally required a solid core wood door. If the rest of the house had wood paneled doors, it was necessary to add moldings to keep the garage door from looking too far out of place. 20 minute doors were added as an option when fire-rated stamped steel doors that looked a little more like a wood paneled door were introduced. I don't remember any mention of a rated door & frame assembly for garages in the CABO code.