• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

2003 IBC 714.2 Spray applied rating?

steveray

SAWHORSE
(Add) 714.2.6 Connections. Where non-fire-resistance-rated members attach to fire-resistance-rated members, the non-rated member shall be protected in the same manner as the rated member for a distance of not less than 12 inches from the point of connection.

CT has an amendment listed above....I have a DP and SI claiming this amendment can be used where:

2hr rated vertical load bearing tube column has a non rated, nonbearing tube beam welded to it....Understand?

My question is: How is the rating maintained? I do not believe maintaining the rating was the intent of our change, although I do believe it was to help protect the structure....

CAFCO 300 is the fireproofing product, none of their listing info seems to address penetrants.......

Any input, guidance, or discussion?

Thanks!

714.2.1 Individual protection.

Columns, girders, trusses, beams, lintels or other structural members that are required to have a fire-resistance rating and that support more than two floors or one floor and roof, or support a load-bearing wall or a nonload-bearing wall more than two stories high, shall be individually protected on all sides for the full length with materials having the required fire-resistance rating.

Steveray if they removed the spray applied fireproofing from the column to weld anything to it they must re-apply the fire proofing to the column and 12" of the welded attachment.

Welded first then sprayed....initally they did not spray the horizontal tube member at all...I questioned the special inspector, and he told me I needed to ask the architect.....(I thought the SI was supposed to be the expert)....The arch came back with the 12" overspray....My issue is how is the column protected (or at least rated assembly listing maintained) where the hollow tube beam meets the hollow tube column?...

To run with the concept....what if the beam were open on the opposite end? what if it were only 24" long? What if it was as deep as the column is tall?....Does the "presciptive" 12" out always work, if that is the intent....

David Henderson said:
Steveray if they removed the spray applied fireproofing from the column to weld anything to it they must re-apply the fire proofing to the column and 12" of the welded attachment.