• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

2003 iebc 605

steveray

SAWHORSE
SECTION 605 MEANS OF EGRESS

605.1 Scope.

The requirements of this section shall be limited to work areas that include exits or corridors shared by more than one tenant within the work area in which Level 2 alterations are being performed, and where specified they shall apply throughout the floor on which the work areas are located or otherwise beyond the work area.

On quick reading, level 2 alterations, egress improvements only apply to multi tenant buildings? What am I missing? Thanks!

2009 IEBC Commentary

......The requirements of this section apply to the work area only, unless there are specific sections addressing supplemental requirements; in which case, the rquirements will apply throughout the floor or beyond. The provisions of Section 705 are applicable only when the alteration work area includes exits or corridors shared by more than one tenant........

FYI

2003 Section 605 was relocated to Section 705 in the 2009

I don't think you missed anything

Thanks MT...we might update to all 2012 by late next year.....I just can't wrap my brain around never having to upgrade your MOE in a single tenant building in a L2 or 3 alteration....