• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

2006 / 2009 IFGC 410.3.1 Regulator Breather Vent Field Identification

The International Fuel Gas Codes permit common regulator vents, but only when serving "breather" vents exclusively (see reference). How does an inspector verify in the field whether a regulator vent is exclusively a "breather" vent? I've yet to see any regulator labeled as such or manufacturer's literature indicating this as an exclusive function.

The only way I have ever seen these installed is as independent vents serving only one regulator each. If I ever see them manifolded, I would certainly inquire as to its approval. But you are wondering how one would know if it was ONLY a breather vent, vs. a combo unit. I think I would ask for the manufacturer's verification as to which type it is, but only if indeed they did manifold the vents.

Stephen,

I've never seen the type you are referring to, but if I did have questions about

them, I would ask the installer to provide some information / literature as to

the proper application / installation, of the correct type regulator.

I'm not aware of any manufactured marking or coloring or other type of

identification markings on the types of regulators.

If you are looking for something more specific, you may have to contact the

manufacturer yourself and request information / assistance.